This healthy vegan lentil soup is easy to make and nutrient dense. It is packed with vegetables and perfect for Meatless Monday or anyone on a plant-based diet.
One of my favorite things to cook and eat during the winter is soup. I think I could have it every day for lunch and dinner. I have several healthy, veggie packed soups that I enjoy cooking up. This Vegan Lentil Soup is one of my favorites! The lentils make it a hearty soup, so it can be served alone or with a light salad.
You may also like:
What do I need to make the Healthy Vegan Lentil Soup?
The vegan lentil soup is very easy to make. It has just 12 ingredients in it.
- Olive Oil
- Curry Powder
- Tomato Paste
- Vegetable Stock
- Green Lentils
As I mentioned above, this is very simple to make. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. However, the one thing to keep in mind is that it does take time for the lentils to cook. So, plan ahead when you are going to make a batch of the vegan lentil soup, as it needs to cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
How do I make the Vegan Lentil Soup?
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Then, add the chopped onions, curry powder and cumin.
Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the onions soften.
Next, stir in the tomato paste and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally.
Reduce the heat to low and add in the lentils.
Cover pot and simmer for 40 minutes to allow lentils to cook.
After 40 minutes, remove lid from pot and add the veggies: broccoli, carrots, parsnip and celery.
Cover pot again and cook for additional 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
Once vegetables are tender, stir in parsley.
Serve warm and enjoy!
How do I serve the Lentil Soup?
I like to serve it up in a bowl with a side salad and a sliced baguette. However, it is very hearty, so it can be a stand alone meal. Sometimes I top it with vegan cheese and fresh herbs or croutons.
Can I use other vegetables in soup?
Absolutely! Some ideas include: cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and rutabaga.
Why use lentils in the soup?
Lentils have a number of nutritional benefits. They are high in protein, packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium. Lentils are also high in fiber. They are a terrific, inexpensive meat alternative for anyone following a plant-based diet.
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup green lentils
- 3 cups broccoli flowerettes
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onion, curry powder and cumin for about 4 minutes or until onion softens.
- Stir in the tomato paste and vegetable stock and bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the lentils.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, parsnip and celery.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley and serve.
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite soup recipe? Have you ever made a Vegan Lentil Soup? Did you know that lentils had a number of nutritional benefits?
Try these other plant-based recipes:
- Spinach and Sautéed Veggie Casserole
- Vegetarian Chicken Salad
- Vegetarian Instant Pot Pasta Puttanesca
- Vegan Family Dinner Recipes
- Vegetarian Instant Pot Recipes
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
PIN IT HERE↓