This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is quick and easy to make. It is a delicious vegan soup to serve up on a cold winter’s night!
Winter weather has finally arrived here in Maine. In fact, we had the first big snowstorm of the season this week. Over 6 inches of snow fell and the kid’s ended up with the day off from school. One of my favorite things to make during the cold, frosty weather is soup. I made a batch of this delicious Vegan Butternut Squash Soup last night. It was a huge hit served up with veggie filled panini sandwiches.
What is in the Vegan Butternut Squash Soup?
There are just 10 ingredients in the vegan butternut squash soup:
- Butternut Squash
- Olive Oil
- Curry Powder
- Vegetable Broth
- Coconut Milk
Why use coconut milk in the recipe?
Coconut milk is a terrific plant-based alternative to using cream or milk in the vegan butternut squash soup. Coconut milk comes from the brown flesh of mature coconuts. It is a good source of many vitamins including: folate, potassium and iron. It also contains saturated fats known as medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s), which have some potential health benefits. Some studies have shown that MCT’s help decrease appetite and increase fat burning.
How do I make the Vegan Butternut Squash Soup?
I love this soup recipe because it is so easy to make! The hardest part is actually peeling and cutting up the butternut squash. However, many grocery stores have started selling it peeled and cut into chunks. So, when time is limited, I often buy it this way.
After the butternut squash is peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks, place it in a large bowl with 3 cloves of garlic. Toss it with the olive oil.
Then, place it on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes until squash has softened.
While the squash is baking, dice up onion.
Then, heat up the remaining olive oil in a large part over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
Next, add the ginger and curry and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
Remove the squash and garlic from the oven and add it to the pot with the vegetable broth.
Next, use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, a regular blender will work too, just do it in small batches.
Once the mixture is smooth, add the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Continue to cook the soup until it is heated through.
That is it! Serve it up warm with any garnishes that you might like. I used coconut milk and chopped parsley to the top of mine.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 3.5 Pounds butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 Cups diced onion 1 medium onion
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2-3 tsp curry powder depending on spice preference
- 5 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Can 13.5 oz coconut milk
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel, seed and dice the squash into 1 inch cubes (approximately).
- Place the squash and garlic in a large bowl, drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and toss to coat.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes until soft and a bit browned.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil to a large pot and heat on medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the ginger and curry and cook an additional 1-2 mintues.
- Remove the squash and garlic from the oven and add to the pot along with the broth.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend until smooth (or work in small batches in a standard blender).
- Once smooth, add the coconut milk and salt and pepper and continue cooking until heated through.
So Tell Me…
Do you enjoy soup in the winter? Have you ever used coconut milk to substitute for regular milk in a recipe? Do you have any tips for peeling and cutting up butternut squash?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great weekend!
PIN IT HERE↓