Happy Sunday! Where did last week go? Speaking of that, where did last month go? February was so busy here that I felt like I blinked and it was over! However, I am excited about heading into March and Spring being just around the corner. The first thing that comes to mind with March is St. Patrick’s Day, which then brings me to Irish food…Yum! So, this week I whipped up a family favorite: Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie.
- 3 lbs Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 4 Celery Stocks with Leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 3 Parsnips, peeled & diced
- 2 Turnips, peeled & diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled & chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 16 oz Cremini Mushrooms (or other white mushrooms), cleaned & sliced
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- 8 oz Shitake Mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- 5 Tbsp Butter, divided (preferably Kerrygold’s or another Irish Butter)
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 1 Cup of Red Wine
- 2 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup of Vegetable Broth
- 2 tsp of Sage & Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Flour (May Use Gluten Free Flour to make GF)
- 1 Cup of Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup of Frozen Corn
- 3/4 Cup of Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
- Place Potatoes in a Large Pot and Boil for approximately 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Mash or Rice potatoes, add 2 Tbsp of Butter & 1/2 cup of Milk. Stir until smooth and keep warm (salt & pepper to taste).
- Heat 1 Tbsp of Butter over Medium High Heat in large cast iron skillet, add all mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently until juices are released from mushrooms and they begin to brown. Approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from pan and salt & pepper.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of Butter over Medium High Heat in same skillet and add onions, cook until softened, about 8 minutes. During last minute add garlic and stir. Add Onion & Garlic to reserved mushrooms
- Heat 2 Tbsp of Butter over Medium High Heat in same skillet. Add Parsnips, Turnips, & Carrots, sauté until tender, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add Wine and deglaze pan by scraping any browned bits.
- Add Tomato Paste, Herbs, & Flour. Heat until slightly thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Peas and cook until heated through, approsimately 1-2 minutes.
- Return Mushrooms, Onion, & Garlic to pan and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Spread Mashed Potatoes over Veggie Mixture and texturize a bit to form peaks.
- Sprinkle top with Cheddar Cheese.
- Place in upper 1/3 of Oven and bake until Cheese melts & potatoes lightly brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve Hot & Enjoy!
Are you excited for Spring? Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? What is your favorite Irish dish? As always, I would love to hear your thoughts and if you tried the recipe in the comments section below.
We hope you enjoy the Sunday Fitness and Food Link-up! Please link-up with any food or fitness posts you would like to share (old or new) and pass along the link to other bloggers. We just ask that you limit the links to 3. Also, Please link back to the hosts, myself and my co-host Ilka and check out the other posts in the link & comment on each of the hosts & others that catch your eye! Also, feel free to add the badge below to your post by copying and pasting the code in the box under our badge. Have a great week and thank you for joining us!
|Grab the Badge Below!|
Check out some of these other great fitness & food link-ups that go through on throughout the week: