This Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole can be prepped the night before and popped in the oven the next morning. It is perfect for a Sunday Brunch or holiday breakfast. It also makes a great “breakfast for dinner” option.
I will admit that breakfast is always tricky, because grab and go items like my Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies are the easiest! However, this quick and easy vegetarian breakfast casserole is so delicious and does not take much time to make. It can be prepped the night before and popped in the oven the next morning. It is also great as a left over. I made this casserole last Monday and my entire family loved it. We enjoyed left overs of this dish on Wednesday at breakfast and I had a serving on Friday for lunch after a big workout.
What ingredients do I need to make the vegetarian breakfast casserole?
This dish is loaded with fresh vegetables, similar to my Spinach and Sautéed Veggie Casserole recipe.Here is what you will need to make it:
- English Muffins
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Red Bell Pepper
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Orange Bell Pepper
- Baby Spinach
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Dijon Mustard
I use the 3 different colors of bell peppers because I love how colorful the casserole looks! However, if you want to keep it simple, you could stick to using just red bell peppers and add a cup and a half of them.
How do I make the vegetarian breakfast casserole?
Step 1: As I mentioned, this is very easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. Start off by preheating the oven 325 degrees and prepare an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Break up the English muffins and place them in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the extra sharp cheese over the English muffins.
Step 2: Heat skillet over medium high heat and add the butter. When the butter is melted add the chopped bell peppers and onions. Sauté them for about 5 minutes or until they soften. Next, add in the mushrooms and sauté for 5 more minutes.
Then, add in the baby spinach and sauté until wilted, which will take 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 3: Remove from heat and put the veggie mixture over the English muffins and cheese. Sprinkle evenly with basil.
Step 4: Next, whisk together the eggs, milk, pepper, garlic powder and Dijon Mustard in a large mixing bowl.
Pour the egg mixture over the veggies, cheese and muffins. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until edges of casserole start to lightly brown. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
How do I store the vegetarian breakfast casserole?
The casserole can be stored in a covered dish in the refrigerator for 5 days. It makes a great left over dish! All you need to do is heat up a piece in the microwave or oven.
Can I prepare this ahead of time?
Yes, this is one of my favorite things about this dish. I like to serve this for a holiday brunch with my Strawberry Mimosa Recipe. It can easily be prepared the night before, then placed in the refrigerator covered. Pop it in the oven the next morning for a delicious family breakfast.
Quick and Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
- 3 English Muffins
- 1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup Orange Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Cup Baby Spinach
- 1/4 Cup Basil thinly sliced
- 6 Eggs lightly beaten
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Lightly coat an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter
- Break up English Muffins into chunks and place on bottom of dish
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over the English Muffins
- Heat skillet over medium high heat and melt 1 Tbsp butter
- Sauté peppers and onions in the skillet for 5-6 minutes, or until softened
- Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté for 5 more minutes
- Next, add 1 cup of spinach to skillet and sauté until wilted, about 2-3 minutes
- Spread pepper, mushroom, spinach mixture on top of cheese and muffins, then sprinkle evenly with basil
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, black pepper, garlic powder, and dijon mustard
- Pour this combination over the veggies, cheese and muffins
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until edges start to slightly brown
- Serve warm!
So Tell Me…
Do you ever eat breakfast for dinner? What is your favorite healthy hot breakfast dish? Do you plan your breakfast ahead of time?
As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Please let me know if you try this Quick and Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole. Thank you so much for stopping by, have a great week!
PIN IT HERE↓