This succulent Watermelon Salsa is the perfect light, healthy and refreshing salsa recipe for summertime! The salsa is both sweet and spicy by combining fresh watermelon, cucumbers, mango, jalapenos, onions, and a few other basic ingredients. It’s drizzled in a sweetened lime garlic mixture that’s out of this world.
Whether you head to your favorite Mexican restaurant or are eating salsa at home, it’s next to impossible not to sit and eat the entire batch. Don’t worry; I won’t judge you if you do this. We ALL do! Salsa is literally one of the best foods on the planet.
The kids and I are fans of trying out new things and mixing ingredients together to see what we can come up with. I make a pretty mean Peach Salsa, so I wanted to try my hand at watermelon salsa. I need to give you a disclaimer: the flavor of this salsa is so good you could eat it with a spoon. I’ll let you figure that out for yourself though. 😉 While you are at it, be sure to try out my Fresh Guacamole recipe too. It’s incredible.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affilate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE WATERMELON SALSA?
All of the ingredients in this watermelon salsa are fresh and delicious except for a little bit of sugar to add some sweetness. You’ll find it’s so healthy and amazing too. Let’s take a look at what you are going to need to make it.
Helpful Kitchen Tools:
HOW DO I MAKE WATERMELON SALSA?
STEP 1: COMBINE SALSA AND DRESSING INGREDIENTS
In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, mango, jalapeno, onion, lime zest, and basil. Whisk together the lime juice, sugar, and garlic powder in a bowl.
STEP 2: DRIZZLE THE DRESSING, REFRIGERATE, AND SERVE
Pour the dressing over the watermelon mixture and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla scoops.
WATERMELON SALSA VARIATIONS
This salsa recipe is super forgiving, and you can mix in all your favorite ingredients. Check out a few of these ideas to try out.
- Cilantro – If you are a huge cilantro fan, then it just makes sense to add in some. Chop it up and sprinkle it into the salsa. If you love cilantro, be sure to try my Corn, Black Bean, and Mango Salad too.
- Mint – I love how refreshing it is to add mint to this salsa. It’s incredible, and I think you are going to love it. My recipe for Cucumber Strawberry Salad also features tasty mint as well.
- Strawberries – Some fresh, diced strawberries will be perfect in this watermelon salsa. If you are looking for a great drink to cool down with, taste my Strawberry Basil Cocktail. Refreshing and delicious.
- Black Beans – Adding some black beans will give you a boost of protein. We crave black beans a lot. Try out this Turkey and Black Bean Chili for dinner.
HOW DO YOU STORE WATERMELON SALSA?
Keep the watermelon salsa cold except for when you are eating it. It should be kept in a container that has a tight-fitting lid and is sealed. Keeping air out of the container will allow it to last 3-4 days in the fridge.
HOW DO YOU SERVE WATERMELON SALSA?
Our most favorite way of eating the watermelon salsa is by serving it with tortilla chips. We also enjoy adding some freshly made salsa on top of grilled chicken. It’s fantastic to have the hearty flavor of the chicken combined with the sweetness and spiciness of the salsa.
On occasion, we will cook up a big fat juicy steak, and adding the watermelon salsa on top takes it to a whole new level of good. And of course, fish is always good with homemade salsa.
SO TELL ME…
Have you ever tried any fruit-based salsa before? If so, what kind of fruit was it? How often do you eat chips and salsa?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great weekend!
- 3 to cups seedless watermelon finely diced
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 mango peeled, pitted, and finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- ¼ cup small red onion finely chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 2 additional limes juiced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, mango, jalapeno, onion, lime zest, and basil.
- Whisk together the lime juice, sugar, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the watermelon mixture and toss gently.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla scoops.