Zucchini is a delicious option any time of the year. But during the summer months, fresh zucchini is an extra special treat. That means you are going to need some great recipes to use all that fresh summer squash! With the help of your air fryer, you can make a batch of healthy parmesan zucchini fries in a matter of minutes. And since this delicious side dish goes with everything, you can enjoy them for dinner any night of the week!
PIN IT HERE!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make Parmesan Zucchini Fries?
Since these simple parmesan fries are cooked in the air fryer, they have the crispy goodness of zucchini fried in oil. But there’s no need for that fatty grease with this recipe! All you need to make this quick and easy side dish is:
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Grated parmesan
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Nonstick cooking spray
How Do I Make Air Fryer Zucchini Fries?
Once you have all your ingredients ready to go, it’s time to start air frying the zucchini. You can have these delicious zucchini fries on your plate in less than 30 minutes! Just follow these three simple steps:
Step One: Prepare the Zucchini
To make these easy parmesan fries, you will need 10 to 11 baby zucchini or four to five full-size zucchinis. To prepare the squash, start by removing each end of the zucchini, then cut them into sticks. Cut larger zucchini in half before slicing for smaller fries.
Step Two: Bread the Zucchini Fries
Combine the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, and spices in a shallow bowl. Stir to mix the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Dip each zucchini fry into the egg, then in the breading mix. For extra crispy fries, repeat dipping in the egg and breading mix.
Step Three: Cook the Fries in the Air Fryer
Spray the basket of your air fryer with nonstick cooking spray and place the zucchini fries in the basket, making sure they are not touching or overcrowded for proper air flow. Spray the breaded fries with another coating of nonstick cooking spray. Set the air fryer to cook at 370 degrees for 11 minutes, or until the fries are golden brown. Half way through cooking time, turn the fries over with tongs to ensure even cooking.
How to Cut Zucchini Fries
The key to getting the best zucchini fries is properly cutting your squash. Believe it or not, there is a proper way to cut your squash so they make delicious fries. Don’t cut them too small or they will fall apart. But if your fries are too thick, they may not cook all the way through! Follow these simple instructions for cutting the perfect zucchini fries:
- Start by cutting the ends off each of your zucchini removing the stem and base of the squash.
- Cut each zucchini in half, right down the center.
- Use a sharp knife to slice each zucchini in half vertically, cutting each slice around ½ inch thick. Depending on how large your zucchini are, you will end up with between three and four slices.
- Cut each slice into ½-inch strips, just like traditional French fries.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Tips & Tricks
Try these quick tips to ensure your zucchini fries come out amazing every time you make them:
- Dry the zucchini to help the coating stick. After you have finished cutting your zucchini into strips, you may notice that the flesh of the squash may be slightly damp. Spread the strips out in an even layer and pat them dry with a paper towel before dredging them in the egg and breadcrumb mixture to help the coating stick to the zucchini. You can also sprinkle them with a little salt to absorb the extra moisture.
- Double dip for extra crispy fries. To give your zucchini fries extra crispiness, dip the zucchini pieces in the egg and panko mixture a second time before baking. The additional layer of breadcrumbs will add extra crunch to the fries after they are cooked.
- Use fresh parmesan for the best flavor. The secret ingredient to these easy fries is parmesan cheese. And while it may be tempting to grab that powdered parmesan from your cabinet because it’s easier, you will not regret taking the time to grate some fresh parmesan for this recipe. Fresh parmesan has a much better flavor than that pre-grated cheese, making it the best choice for your air fryer zucchini fries.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping. Add to the flavor of your zucchini sticks with the help of marinara sauce. Make your favorite sauce from scratch or use a jarred sauce for easier preparation. While the zucchini fries are cooking, heat the sauce until it’s warm, then serve it in a small cup for dipping.
- Bake your zucchini fries in the oven. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake these crispy zucchini fries in the oven. After breading your zucchini fries, place them in a single layer on a greased baking sheet and spray them with nonstick cooking spray. Bake the fries in a 350 degree oven for around 15 minutes. To make your oven-baked zucchini fries extra crispy, place them under the broiler for two to three minutes after the cook time is up.
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite way to prepare zucchini? Have you ever made zucchini fries in the air fryer? Thank you for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Looking for more amazing zucchini recipes? Give these reader favorites a try!
Parmesan Zucchini Fries in the Air Fryer
- Remove each end of the zucchini and cut into fries.
- In a bowl mix the panko, parmesan cheese, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning until well blended.
- In another bowl, beat the egg.
- Dredge the zucchini fries in the egg and then the panko breading mix. Repeat for extra crispy results.
- Spray air fryer basket with oil and place zucchini fries in the basket. Spray the zucchini with cooking spray and cook on 370 for 11 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from air fryer and serve warm with marinara sauce, if desired.