Looking for a delicious, healthy sweet treat to always have on hand? Give this easy to make Long Lasting Fruit Cocktail Salad a try! A combination of citrus fruits with the addition of grapes will last for up to a week in your refrigerator. Make a batch of the fruit salad over the weekend and enjoy it all week long when you are craving a low calorie dessert!
What do I need to make the Fruit Cocktail Salad?
There are just seven ingredients needed to make this delicious homemade fruit cocktail recipe. The fruit used in it were purposefully selected as they will last longer than others when stored in the refrigerator. Here is what you will need for this simple healthy treat:
- Orange Juice
Are you looking for some other great ways to enjoy fresh fruit? Give these reader favorite recipes a try:
How do I prepare the Long Lasting Fruit Salad?
This fruit salad recipe comes together in just a few simple steps!
Step 1: Prepare the fruit
Start off by cutting the pineapple and removing the core and rind. Then, cut it up into 1 inch chunks. Next, slice the cantaloupe in half and remove the seeds. Cut off the rind of the cantaloupe, then cut into large chunks. Peel skin off of the mango and dice into 1 inch pieces.
Peel the citrus fruits and remove the white skin of the fruit. Using a very sharp knife, remove the segment by passing the blade on each side of the fruit membrane. Lastly, slice the grapes in half.
Step 2: Mix in OJ, Serve and Enjoy!
Add all the fruit to a large bowl. Then, pour orange juice over the fruit and toss gently to combine. Serve and enjoy!
How long can I expect the Fruit Cocktail Salad to last?
This fruit cocktail recipe will last five to seven days in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Can I use other fruit in the salad?
The fruits used in this salad were purposefully selected as they will last longer, then other fruits once peeled and cut. The high acidity in the citrus fruits used prevents the salad from browning by interfering with the enzyme that causes the reaction when exposed to air.
What fruit should I avoid using in this recipe?
Fruits to avoid using are: bananas, apples, pears, peaches, apricots, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. These fruits will either brown or become soft and mushy if stored more than 2 or 3 days. If you would like to add any of these, just toss them in to individual bowls right before serving.
Long Lasting Fruit Cocktail Salad
- 1 pineapple
- 1 cantaloupe
- 2 mangos
- 2 grapefruits
- 4 oranges
- 2 cups grapes
- 2 cups orange juice
- Prepare the fruit by rinsing it off first.
- Cut the pineapple and remove the core and rind. Then, cut fruit into 1 inch chunks.
- Slice cantaloupe in half and remove seeds. Cut rind off of cantaloupe, then cut fruit into 1 inch chunks.
- Peel Mango, then cut it into 1 inch chunks.
- Peel the citrus fruits and remove the white skin of the fruit. Using a very sharp knife, remove the segment by passing the blade on each side of the fruit membrane.
- Cut the grapes in half.
- Place all the fruit in a large bowl.
- Pour the orange juice on top of fruit and mix gently.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- This fruit salad can be stored for a week in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Fruits to avoid using: bananas, apples, pears, peaches, apricots, strawberries.
- Don’t cut the fruit into too small cubes: large pieces keep better.