Learn how to make Chocolate Covered Apples in just a few easy steps! All you need are your favorite variety of apples, melted chocolate, peanuts and sticks.
Apples are more than food to try to keep the doctor away! They are a versatile fruit that make a healthy snack or a delicious dessert. In this case, we are talking about tart apples dipped in decadent melted chocolate and covered with chopped peanuts.
If you have kids that love to help out in the kitchen, bring them in for this project. They will love dipping the apples and adding the peanuts to them. It’s just a fun recipe that kids and adults will enjoy making.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COVERED APPLES?
With three ingredients and tons of options to add extra flavors, you can’t go wrong with this recipe. Here is what you will need to make the Chocolate Covered Apples:
Kitchen Items Needed:
- Sticks: I ordered these heavy duty acrylic ones from Amazon!
- Sharp Knife
- Measuring Cup
- Parchment Paper
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COVERED APPLES
I am happy to say that this is the easiest chocolate dipped apple recipe ever! There are just 2 steps involved in making this delicious apple dessert.
STEP 1: PREPARE THE APPLES
Wash and dry apples, remove stems. Insert sticks into the center of apples.
STEP 2: DIP THE APPLES, ADD PEANUTS, AND CHILL
Dip apples into the chocolate to cover the entire apple. Then, dip the bottom into the chopped peanuts. Place the chocolate dipped apples onto a plate or tray lined with parchment paper. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until chocolate hardens. Remove from refrigerator and enjoy!
CHOCOLATE COVERED APPLE VARIATIONS
As with many of my recipes, you can do so much with these chocolate apples. Here are some of my favorite variations!
- Caramel – Either drizzle some caramel after you dip the apples or dip the apples into caramel first, then chocolate. Either way, it’s an incredible flavor combination.
- Peanut Butter – Another fun flavor is peanut butter. You can add some peanut butter to the chocolate when it’s melting. Then, dip the apples into the melted peanut butter chocolate.
- Candies – Add some crushed M&M’s or other chocolate candies to the bottom of the apples instead of the nuts. They will look so gourmet!
- Cookies – Crush some Oreos or chocolate chip cookies and roll the dipped apples in the crushed cookies.
- Coconut – Use either unsweetened or sweetened coconut. It looks great and tastes fantastic!
- White Chocolate – I also like to add some melted white chocolate to a decorating bottle and drizzle it on the apples. It’s so pretty and tastes good too.
WHAT KIND OF APPLES DO I NEED?
Another fun thing about these chocolate covered apples is that you can use any kind that you like. We love Granny Smith because they are tart and taste great with the chocolate and nuts. However, you can also use other kinds of apples too.
We have tried Gala, Fuji, and Pink Lady, and they all turned out great. It is also fun to do a variety of apples at the same time!
TIPS FOR DIPPING APPLES
- When possible, melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Chocolate is pretty finicky, so keep a close eye on it when you are melting it or it will dry out quickly.
- Due to apples having a waxy finish, you could dip them into boiling water for 5 minutes or so before starting the process. This will let the chocolate stick to the apples better. This is optional and not required by any means.
- Make sure when you wash the apples that you dry them very well. Any water is going to cause problems when adding the melted chocolate.
- If you use different toppings besides peanuts, you should keep each topping in a shallow bowl. This makes it easier to add the toppings to the apples.
SO TELL ME…
Are you making these chocolate covered apples for a special occasion or because you are in the mood for something sweet? What toppings will you add to your apples? What’s your favorite variety of apples?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
How to Make Chocolate Covered Apples
- 6 Apples
- 2 cups chocolate melted
- 1 cup peanuts chopped
- Wash and dry apples, remove stems
- Insert sticks into center of apples
- Dip apples into the chocolate and then dip the bottom of the apples into the chopped peanuts.
- Place on a plate or tray lined with parchment paper. Then, refrigerate for 20 minutes or until chocolate hardens.