This Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole is a delicious way to serve up Brussels sprouts! It is easy to make and the perfect side dish for a Sunday supper or holiday dinner!
Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole
Brussels sprouts… It seems like there are two camps when it comes to this small edible bud from the cabbage family. People love them or hate them. I had a few family members in the latter camp until I convinced them to try some of my favorite Brussels sprouts recipes, including this Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole.
I personally love them! They are so incredibly versatile. The key is to preparing them so their best flavor is highlighted. This can be done in a number of ways: sautéing, roasting, baking and frying the sprouts are all delicious ways to showcase their flavor. In my Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole, I use two methods: sautéing, then baking. Boiling them to death until they are mushy is not a good choice in preparing them. I think that is how some of my family members have become jaded regarding the sprouts.
You may also enjoy these casserole recipes:
What are the health benefits of Brussels sprouts?
I love Brussels sprouts for their flavor. However, there are a number of health benefits to eating them. They are high in fiber and Vitamin K and Vitamin C. These sprouts are also rich in antioxidants which promote good health by decreasing oxidative stress at the cellular level. Another little known fact about one of my favorite veggies is that they are one of the best plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids. So, seriously…what is not to love about Brussels sprouts? There are hundreds of ways to prepare them, including this Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole dish.
How do I make a Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole?
It is very easy quick and easy to make. There are just nine ingredients in the Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole:
- Brussels Sprouts
- Heavy Cream
- Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
Start off by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter. Then, cook bacon over medium heat in a heavy skillet until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Next, melt the butter in the heavy skillet with bacon drippings. Add in the onions and Brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until the sprouts are tender. Then, pour heavy cream over the sprouts and gently scrape the bottom of the pan for any flavorful bits.
Transfer the sprouts to prepared casserole dish and top with cheeses.
Bake in oven at 375 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and enjoy warm!
I’m a vegetarian, can I omit the bacon?
Yes, absolutely! This recipe is super versatile. The bacon can be omitted entirely or a vegetarian bacon substitute could be added. Additional veggies, like red bell peppers could also be added. This is one of the best parts about a casserole recipe is there are so many ways to change it up!
Can I prepare the dish ahead of time?
Yes, this dish could be prepared a day ahead of time and reheated. However, the best way to enjoy the Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole is right out of the oven!
Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 pounds brussel sprouts trimmed and sliced into thirds
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or grease with additional butter.
- In a heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper toweling. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the skillet.
- Melt butter in skillet with remaining bacon drippings. Then add the onions and Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the Brussels sprouts are tender.
- Pour heavy cream over Brussels sprouts and gently scrape the bottom of the skillet to remove any flavorful pieces. Transfer the sprouts to the casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with parmesan and cheddar cheeses.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
I love Brussels sprouts, how else can I serve them?
You have come to the right place, because so do I! There are so many fabulous ways to prepare Brussels sprouts, check out a few of my faves here:
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cranberries and Pecans with Balsamic Vinegar
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Prosciutto
- Charred Brussels Sprouts Pizza
- Easy Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad
So Tell Me…
Are you a fan of Brussels sprouts? What is your favorite way to serve them? Have you ever made a Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Casserole?
Check out these other tasty side dish recipes:
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
PIN IT HERE↓