Cauliflower is such an amazing vegetable! It’s low carb, making it perfect for keto. And its neutral flavor allows it to transform into a variety of different vegetarian substitutes for meat dishes – like chicken wings. The smokey, spicy flavor of harissa combined with crispy, crunchy fried cauliflower make this simple vegan recipe a great replacement for traditional hot wings. And with the help of your air fryer, you can prepare these delicious air fryer cauliflower wings with harissa sauce in a matter of minutes.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make This Recipe for Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings?
Since you only need five ingredients to prepare this quick and easy dish, it’s going to be your go-to recipe when you’re craving something spicy! To whip up your own harissa cauliflower wings, you’ll need:
- Cauliflower florets
- Harissa mild sauce
- Olive oil
- Sugar free maple syrup
Looking for more delicious air fryer recipes? Give these reader favorites a try!
How Do I Make Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings?
Once your ingredients are ready to go, you can start preparing this simple air fryer recipe. Follow these three quick steps to make your own cauliflower wings today:
Step One: Prepare the Cauliflower
Cut the cauliflower into florets. Combine the harissa sauce, olive oil, and maple syrup in a large bowl. Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl. Stir until the florets are fully coated with the sauce.
Step Two: Air Fry the Cauliflower
Place the cauliflower in an even layer in the basket of your air fryer. You may need to cook the cauliflower in batches. Cook the florets at 390 degrees for 12 minutes. Every four minutes, remove the basket from the fryer and shake to flip the cauliflower.
Step Three: Serve the Harissa Cauliflower Wings
Garnish the cauliflower wings with chopped parsley and serve warm.
Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings Recipe Ideas
This simple recipe is a great vegan and low carb appetizer idea. But the best part about this vegetarian recipe is that you can adapt it to suit your tastes. Try these recipe ideas as you’re preparing your own harissa cauliflower at home:
- Make it spicy. If you prefer to enjoy your wings on the spicy side, simply swap out the mild harissa sauce for the spicy variety. Or combine equal parts mild and hot to create cauliflower with medium heat.
- Try it with buffalo sauce. For more traditional air fryer cauliflower wings, toss your cauliflower florets in your favorite buffalo sauce instead of harissa paste. You can toss the cauliflower in the sauce before or after cooking, depending on your preference.
- Bake your cauliflower wings. Using your air fryer is a great way to get crispy, crunchy cauliflower wings in just a few minutes. But you can also use your oven to bake the cauliflower. Spread the coated wings in an even layer over a baking dish. Bake the florets at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping the cauliflower halfway through the cook time.
What is Harissa Made Of?
Harissa is a hot chili paste popular in north Africa. The flavorful sauce is often used as a dip or marinade in Tunisian and Moroccan cooking, but can also be added to stews to enhance the flavor. Harissa is made by blending roasted red chilies with garlic and oil. The sauce is then seasoned with spices like caraway seeds, cumin, and coriander to create its distinct flavor.
How to Cut Cauliflower
Before you start cooking your cauliflower wings, you’ll need to take a few minutes to cut your cauliflower head into florets. But if you’re not sure if you’re using the right technique when cutting your cauliflower, try these four easy steps:
- Remove the leaves. To cut your cauliflower head into florets, start by flipping the cauliflower upside down and pulling the leaves from the base. Continue removing all the leaves until the stem is exposed.
- Cut around the stem. With the cauliflower still upside down, use a paring knife to cut around the stem of the cauliflower head.
- Break off the florets. After loosening the florets from the stem with your knife, use your hands to pull the large florets off the stem of the cauliflower.
- Remove stems from the florets. Use a knife to cut the large stems off your florets. For smaller cauliflower wings, you can also use the knife to cut larger florets into smaller pieces.
How to Store Cauliflower Wings
Your air fryer cauliflower wings are best enjoyed right after cooking, but if you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator. Place the leftover wings in an airtight container and keep them chilled until you’re ready to eat them again. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat your leftover wings, place the cauliflower in the basket of the air fryer and cook at 390 degrees for 3 minutes.
Air Fryer Cauliflower with Harissa Sauce
- 1 medium head of Cauliflower cut into florets
- 3 tbsp Harissa sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar-free maple syrup or regular maple syrup
- ¼ cup flat parsley for garnish
- Cut the cauliflower into florets
- In a large bowl add the harissa sauce, olive oil, and maple syrup. Mix well to combine everything.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl and with the help of a spoon or with your hands stir the cauliflower florets to distribute the sauce equally over all the florets.
- Place the florets in the baskets of the Air Fryer in one layer. You will need to cook them in two batches.
- Cook at 390 F˚ for 12 minutes flipping every 4 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley if desired.