Making lunchtime fun can be a challenge, but with these air fryer ham and cheese pinwheels, you’ll have a delicious and easy option that your kids will love. These tasty snacks are simple to make and perfect for packing in a lunchbox. Plus, they’re always a hit at parties! Give them a try today.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
What ingredients do I need for the Ham and Cheese Pinwheels?
Ham and cheese are two classic comfort foods that taste great together. This recipe for Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Pinwheels takes those flavors and wraps them up in a fun, easy-to-eat package. Plus, the air fryer makes them nice and crispy without all the added fat. Here are the simple ingredients that you will need to make them.
- Pizza dough (store bought, or you can make your own)
- Deli ham
- Swiss cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
Looking for more delicious air fryer recipes? Give these reader favorites a try!
How do I make Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Pinwheels?
These Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Pinwheels are the perfect recipe for any occasion! They’re simple to assemble, and the air fryer does all the work for you. Here are the steps needed to make this simple air fryer appetizer.
Step 1: Prepare the ham and cheese pinwheels
Start off by rolling the pizza dough out to form a 13 x 9 inch rectangle. Add the ham slices to fully cover the dough. Layer as desired. Next, cover the ham fully with slices of cheese. If necessary, cut the cheese slices to fit. Roll the dough upward enclosing the ham and cheese. Keep the roll tight and the ham and cheese inside, then pinch the ends closed. Using a sharp knife cut the roll into 10 to 12 pieces. You can cut them into thinner pinwheels, but you will need to adjust the cooking time.
Step 2: Air Fry the Pinwheels
Place the pinwheels in a single layer onto a pan (that will fit in your air fryer) lined with parchment paper or lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Next, melt the butter In a microwave-safe measuring cup or on the stove top. Whisk in the garlic and Italian seasoning. The, brush the tops of the ham and cheese pinwheels with the melted butter mixture. Place the pan in the air fryer basket and cook at 350°f for 10 minutes or until the crust is fully cooked and golden brown.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy!
Remove from air fryer and allow to cool. Then, serve and enjoy!
How should I serve the Ham and Cheese Pinwheels?
These simple and delicious air fryer snacks can be served all by themselves or with a variety of other things. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve with dipping sauces: Try serving them with marinara sauce, ranch dip, Dijon mustard or barbecue sauce for added flavor.
- Easy dinner idea: The simple cheese and ham pinwheels also make a great quick and easy dinner. Try serving them up with soup, salad or along side a favorite casserole dish.
- Party appetizer: These are a favorite party food! Arrange them on a platter with dipping sauces or fruit and they are sure to be a hit!
- Add extra seasoning: Try sprinkling Everything Bagel Seasoning or poppy seeds on top!
Can I store the Pinwheels?
Yes, these are easy to store. Place them in an airtight container or cover them with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days after making them. To reheat, just pop them back in the air fryer for a few minutes until they crisp back up. They can also be reheated in the microwave or oven. However, to retain crispiness, it is best to reheat them in the air fryer. The pinwheels can also be eaten cold or at room temperature.
Air Fryer Pinwheels Ideas
There are so many different ways to make these air fryer treats! I used ham and cheese in this recipe, however, there are many different ways they can be created. Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
- Add different meat: Try making them with different types of meat. Pepperoni, salami, roast beef, turkey or chicken slices all taste great! You could also use more than one type of meat in the pinwheel, just take care too not make them too bulky.
- Try different cheese: I love using Swiss cheese, but many other varieties of cheeses work well too. Provolone cheese, munster cheese, cheddar cheese, pepper jack and American cheese all work great! I would avoid using cream cheese in these since they are cooked in the air fryer.
- Add a sauce: While these taste great dipped in sauce, you could also add a thin layer of sauce before cooking them in the air fryer. Try pizza sauce, pesto or even spread some mustard on the ham and cheese before rolling up the dough.
Ham and cheese pinwheels make a great appetizer or snack. They are easy to make and can be customized to your liking. Give them a try for a snack, lunch, dinner or at your next party!
The Best Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- Roll the pizza dough out to form a 13 x 9 rectangle.
- Add the slices of ham to fully cover the dough. Layer as desired.
- Cover the ham fully with slices of cheese. Cut cheese to fit.
- Roll the dough upward enclosing the ham and cheese. Keep the roll tight and the ham and cheese inside. Pinch the ends close.
- Using a sharp knife cut the roll into 8 pieces. For thinner pinwheels, cut them into 10 or 12 pieces.
- Place the pinwheels into a pan lined with parchment paper or lightly sprayed with cooking oil and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stove top. Then, whisk in the garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Brush the tops of the pinwheels with the butter mixture.
- Place the pan in the air fryer basket and cook at 350°f for 10 minutes or until the crust is fully cooked and golden.
- Remove and let cool.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.