Making chips in the air fryer is a quick and easy way to prepare a delicious and healthy snack for your family. And when you use sweet potatoes, your family can enjoy a sweet and salty snack in a matter of minutes. These air fryer sweet potato chips aren’t just delicious, they’re also easy to make! That means you can enjoy a crunchy treat at home in under 30 minutes.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips?
My favorite part about this simple recipe is that you only need a handful of ingredients to prepare it! To make your own sweet potato chips at home, you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
Looking for more delicious Air Fryer recipes? Give these reader favorites a try!
How Do I Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips?
You won’t believe how simple it is to make your own potato chips at home! In fact, once you try this quick recipe, you’ll never want to eat store-bought sweet potato chips again. To make your own air fryer chips, just follow these three easy steps.
Step One: Prepare the Potatoes
Start by scrubbing the potatoes under cold water to remove dirt and roots from the skin. Then, dry the potato and thinly slice it into chips. After that, place the chips in a bowl of cold water and allow them to soak for at least 20 minutes. When the chips are finished soaking, transfer them to layered paper towels to soak up the excess water. Allow the potato slices to air dry for around 20 minutes.
Step Two: Season the Sweet Potatoes
When the potatoes are dry, transfer them to a large bowl and toss them with the olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Continue stirring until all the slices are fully seasoned.
Step Three: Air Fry the Potatoes
Lay the potato slices in an even layer in your air fryer basket, making sure not to overlap the slices. Cook the chips at 370 degrees for 15 minutes, until the chips are crispy. Continue cooking the chips in batches until all the slices have been fried.
Why Are My Sweet Potato Chips Not Crispy?
Making chips in your air fryer is a great way to prepare your own heathy snack at home. But it can be disappointing when your sweet potato chips don’t get crispy as they cook! Luckily, there are a few common issues to look for as you’re making your sweet potato chips to help you avoid soggy potatoes as you’re cooking.
- Your chips are too thick. The best way to get crispy chips is to cut your sweet potatoes as thinly as possible. That means you’ll need to start with a very sharp knife. Using a large, sharp knife, slice the sweet potatoes around 1/8 inch thick.
- You skipped the soak. Although it may seem counterintuitive to soak your potatoes in water to make them crispy, this is an essential step when preparing your chips. Soaking the potato slices in water will help remove the excess starch from the slices. Removing the starch is the best way to get the potato slices crispy. Just make sure to give the potatoes plenty of time to dry after soaking!
- You forgot the oil. The final step to getting crispy chips in the air fryer is using oil on your sweet potatoes. Make sure to coat both sides of the chips with oil to help the outside crisp up as it cooks. If you’re hoping to make oil-free sweet potato chips, you can also spray the chips with nonstick cooking spray to reduce the fat content and make your snack a little bit healthier.
Can You Bake Sweet Potato Chips?
Using your air fryer is the best way to get that fried flavor without all the added oil. But if you don’t have an air fryer at home, you can also bake the chips in the oven!
Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper, then layer the chips in a single layer on the sheet, making sure not to overlap the chips. Bake the chips at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until they’re crispy.
Sweet Potato Chip Recipe Ideas
Once you have this basic recipe down, you’re going to want to try different variations every time you make it! Try these seasoning ideas to create new flavor combinations for your new favorite snack.
- Ranch seasoning. Toss your chips in premade ranch seasoning or make your own to create ranch sweet potato chips.
- Cinnamon sugar. After cooking your chips, toss them in a blend of cinnamon and sugar for a delicious sweet snack.
- Pumpkin spice. Give your sweet potato chips some fall flavor with the help of pumpkin pie spice. Toss the potato slices in oil, salt, and pumpkin pie spice before cooking.
- Chipotle. Add some spice to your sweet potato chips with ground chipotle. Add a pinch of chipotle to the bowl with the chips, along with paprika, salt, and pepper to create a sweet and spicy treat.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Air Fryer
- Wash the potatoes of any dirt and roots.
- Slice the potatoes thinly and soak in cold water for 20 minutes
- Remove slices and place on layered paper towels to dry for 20 minutes. Soaking and drying help remove excess starch that will prevent crisping.
- Toss the slices in a bowl with oil and salt, pepper and paprika.
- Lay slices in the air fryer basket but do not overlay the slices.
- Cook each batch of chips in a single at 370° for 15 minutes or until crispy.
- Let cool down and enjoy!