The aroma of this Tex Mex Chicken with Cauliflower Rice will have you drooling! Juicy chicken with taco seasoning combined with garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, and cauliflower. This easy meal can be made in under 20 minutes for a quick dinner!
We love the combination of Tex Mex flavors in my house. Often times on Taco Tuesdays instead of serving my Delicious Low Carb Turkey Tacos, we will serve this Tex Mex Chicken instead. While it’s not technically a taco, it is filled with all sorts of taco flavors.
We all know how busy life can get, running errands, working, trying to stay fit, it can all be exhausting! That’s why I try to make meals that are healthy even when I don’t feel like it. Thankfully, this low carb Tex Mex chicken can be made quickly and the entire family loves it!
If you are like me and don’t always have lots of time to spend in the kitchen, then try out some of my other quick and easy meals like Chicken Sliders with Pesto! Another super fast meal idea is my homemade Keto Chicken Tenders. Both of these meals take around 20 minutes to make. While you cooking, try sipping on this delicious Watermelon Martini!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affilate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE TEX MEX CHICKEN WITH CAULIFLOWER RICE
You only need ten ingredients plus the toppings of your choice to whip up this easy Tex Mex chicken. Let’s take a look at what you will be needing:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Olive Oil
- Green Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Taco Seasoning
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Black Olives
Kitchen Items Needed:
*Pro Tip: Buy bagged riced cauliflower and chopped vegetables to save time!
HOW DO I MAKE TEX MEX CHICKEN WITH CAULIFLOWER RICE?
STEP 1: COOK THE CHICKEN, ONIONS, PEPPERS, AND GARLIC
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Then, cook the chicken until lightly browned on all sides. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Stir together with the chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
STEP 2: ADD INGREDIENTS AND SIMMER
Add the taco seasoning, tomatoes, cauliflower rice, and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Then, add Monterey jack cheese on top of mixture.
STEP 3: TOP WITH GARNISHES AND ENJOY!
Garnish with diced fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives, diced avocado, and chopped cilantro if desired. Serve warm and enjoy!
TEX MEX CHICKEN VARIATIONS
I seriously love everything about this chicken dish! Not only is it incredibly simple to make, it’s also loaded with flavor and nutrients. Sometimes, I feel like adding in a few extra flavors and thought I would share them with you. Here are some ideas:
- Beans – If you eat low-carb, adding beans won’t work, but otherwise, some black beans are a great way to add more protein. They will keep you full and taste great too.
- Lettuce – Some leafy green lettuce is a nice and refreshing touch. Shred the lettuce and add it to the top before serving.
- Sour Cream – Add some sour cream for a cool and tasty option. So good!
- Ground Beef – If you are in the mood for something playful, swap the chicken for ground beef. You’ll need to brown it, then add it to the dish.
- Salsa – We eat salsa with everything, so it just makes sense to add a little bit to the top of this Tex Mex chicken. Sometimes we go with Pico de Gallo too!
- Tortillas– Serve it with a side of warm tortillas or put the Tex Mex Chicken in the tortilla and eat it like a taco.
HOW LONG DOES TEX MEX CHICKEN LAST?
After you cook the chicken dish, let it cool and refrigerate. Be sure to put it in an airtight container, and it will last 3-4 days in the fridge. To warm it up, just put it in a microwave safe bowl and heat it up. It can also be warmed up in the oven.
If you do a lot of meal prepping, this chicken is fantastic! You can make it in advance and warm it up for a quick and easy lunch idea.
WHY USE CAULIFLOWER INSTEAD OF RICE?
I like to use cauliflower in this dish instead of rice because it makes it much lower in carbohydrates and lower in calories. It is also less filling and provides additional nutrients from the cauliflower. However, if you would like to use rice instead, it will taste great too! Just prepare the rice separately and add it to the chicken combo before serving or serve Tex Mex Chicken over the rice.
SO TELL ME…
Do you have a particular night of the week for tacos or Mexican food? What toppings are you excited to garnish this Tex Mex chicken with? Do you eat cauliflower rice frequently?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Tex Mex Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 head cauliflower riced (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Diced fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives, diced avocado, chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- Cook the chicken until cooked on all sides.
- To the skillet, add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir together and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the taco seasoning, tomatoes, cauliflower rice, and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Top with monterey jack cheese.
- Garnish with diced fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives, diced avocado, and chopped cilantro if desired.