This Mac and Cheese with Gouda Casserole is an upscale version of the classic comfort food dish. A creamy sauce is made from gouda and cheddar cheese, then poured on top of the macaroni. Green peas are added to the dish for a contrast in flavor and to sneak in some veggies! The macaroni and cheese casserole is then topped with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and baked in the oven until a lightly browned and crunchy. The dish is a family favorite for Sunday Supper. It is also a terrific dish to take to a potluck party.
PIN IT HERE↓
No matter what the weather is outside, every now and then I love to make a good comfort food recipe. A family favorite is this Mac and Cheese with Gouda Casserole. It is so quick and easy to make. The addition of Gouda cheese gives it a rich and decadent taste.
Looking for more Comfort Food Recipes? Give these a try:
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Mac and Cheese with Gouda?
This classy version of the ultimate comfort food dish is made with 12 ingredients. You will need:
- Macaroni Pasta
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green Peas
- Bread Crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese
- Dried Parsley
How do I make the Macaroni and Cheese Casserole?
For a dish that tastes so decadent, it comes together in just a few simple steps!
Step 1: Make the Macaroni
Start off by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside. Cook the macaroni al dente according to package instructions. Remove from heat, drain water and set aside.
*Pro Tip: Save 1/2 cup of the water that the pasta was cooked in to add to the cheese sauce. The starchiness of the pasta water will help bind the sauce and add more flavor!
Step 2: Make the Cheese Sauce
Next, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add in the flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add in the milk while whisking constantly.
Then, add in the reserved pasta water and continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Add in the cheddar and Gouda cheese and stir until the cheeses have melted. Lastly, add in the peas and stir until they are heated through. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Put it all together
Now, it is time to put it all together! In a large bowl, combine the cheese sauce with macaroni and mix well. Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Step 4: Make the topping and bake
In a small bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until the bread crumb topping begins to lightly brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes before serving.
How do I store the Mac and Cheese with Gouda Casserole?
This family friendly dish can be stored in a covered container for up to 5 days after being prepared. It makes a great leftover dinner! It can also be stored in the freezer in a covered container for up to 3 months.
I don’t have macaroni, can I use another kind of pasta?
Absolutely! Other varieties of pasta that can be used to make the casserole include:
Simply follow the box directions for preparing the pasta al dente and continue with the recipe instructions.
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite comfort food to make? Have you ever tried adding Gouda cheese to macaroni? Do you like to add in extra veggies to your recipes?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Mac and Cheese with Gouda
- 2 cups macaroni pasta uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup Gouda cheese grated
- 1 cup green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni pasta to el dente according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot at medium heat.
- Add the flour whisking until smooth.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking constantly. Then, add in the reserved pasta water.
- Continue cooking and stirring the sauce for about 4 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Add the cheddar and gouda cheeses as well as the peas to the sauce. Cook, stirring, until the cheese has melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cheese sauce with the macaroni noodles and mix well.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl whisk together the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the bread crumb topping begins to lightly brown.