This Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole recipe is the ultimate comfort food! It is made with ground beef, onions, egg noodles and lots of cheddar cheese. The kids will love this easy to make hearty dish for a delicious family meal.
PIN IT HERE↓
Some nights I just need to make a good comfort food recipe that I know the entire family will love! This Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole fits the bill perfectly! It is super easy to make and everyone loves it!
Typically, I have all the ingredients in my house to put this casserole dish together when I am just not sure what to make for dinner. Ground beef and noodles with a delicious tomato sauce covered with cheese. What’s not to love about this recipe?
Some other Family Favorite Comfort Food Recipes to try:
- Mexican Corn Casserole
- Zucchini Pizza Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping
- Mac and Cheese with Gouda Casserole
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole?
This family friendly recipe has just 10 ingredients in it! You will need:
- Ground Beef
- Canned & Diced Tomatoes
- Dry Mustard
- Brown Sugar
- Cheddar Cheese
- Egg Noodles
Other Kitchen Items Needed:
- 13×9 inch Baking Dish
- Cooking Pot
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
How do I make the Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole?
Step 1: Cook the Noodles
The tasty beef casserole dish comes together in no time! Start off by greasing a 13×9 inch baking dish, then set aside. Cook the egg noodles to al dente according to the package instructions. Drain the noodles and set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Onions
Place the sliced onions in a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons of water. Cover the skillet and cook the onions for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, add more water if necessary. Remove the onions from heat when they are soft and translucent, but not browned.
Step 3: Cook the Ground Beef
Remove the cooked onions from the skillet and set aside. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Drain the fat and add the onions back to the skillet with the beef. Mix together and cook for additional 3 minutes.
Step 4: Combine the Noodles & Beef/Onion Mixture
Place the egg noodles in a large bowl and add the beef/onion mixture.
Step 5: Combine the Tomatoes, Spices and Cheese
In a medium bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes, paprika, dry mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the grated cheddar cheese.
Step 6: Get the Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole ready for the oven
Pour the tomato mixture over the noodles and stir gently. Put the noodle mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Step 7: Time to Bake the Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole
Then, put it on the center rack in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and edges lightly brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired, right before serving.
How do I store the Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole?
This dish can be stored for up to 5 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. It also makes a great freezer meal! In fact sometimes I make a double batch and freeze 1/2 of it to pull out on a busy weeknight. *To make a double batch: Simply double the ingredients and divide it between 2 9×13 baking dishes.
Can I add anything else to the dish?
Yes, absolutely! Like many of my recipes, this dish is versatile. Here are some alternate suggestions, but feel free to get creative and try your own!
Alternative #1-“Lightened Up”: If you would like to lighten the dish up a little, use ground turkey or ground chicken instead of ground beef. The amount cheese can also be cut down.
Alternative #2- “Spice Up”: I have to admit, this is my favorite way to make it! Instead of ground beef, I use ground spicy hot Italian sausage. This adds heat and a lot of spicy flavors. If you enjoy sausage, but not the heat, ground sweet Italian sausage is also a great substitute for the ground beef.
Alternative #3- “Veg it Up”: This dish is a prime place to hide some veggies if you are trying to get more into your kids! Instead of using 3 large onions, use 1 large onion, 1 chopped green bell pepper and 1 diced and peeled carrot.
Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 large onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 16 ounce package 340 grams medium egg noodles
- Fresh parsley for serving if desired
- Grease a 9x 13 inch baking dish.
- Cook the egg noodles to al dente as instructed on the package.
- Place the sliced onions in a large skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook covered for about 10 minutes, until soft and translucent but not browned. Stir frequently and add more water as needed.
- Remove the onions from the skillet and add the ground beef. Cook until no pink remains. Drain the fat if needed.
- Add the onions back to the skillet with the beef and mix together cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
- Put the egg noodles in a large bowl and add the ground beef/onion mixture.
- In a medium bowl mix together the diced tomatoes, paprika, dry mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in 1½ cups of the grated cheese.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the noodles and stir gently.
- Put the noodle mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley if desired.
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite comfort food to make? Have you ever made a Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!