Welcome to the Friday Five! This week I am sharing 5 benefits of protein and why it is important to incorporate it into your healthy lifestyle. Proteins are important molecules that are made up of strings of amino acids. These amino acids are considered the “building blocks” of life. Here are 5 ways we benefit from eating protein:
Five Health Benefits of Protein:
1. Exercise Recovery: Protein is necessary for muscle tissue building, repair, and recovery. It is essential to get enough protein in your diet to help avoid tissue injury.
2. Satiates Appetite: High protein diets are associated with reduced caloric intake as protein dense meals help individuals feel full longer, which prevents snacking in between meals.
3. Increased Energy Level: Protein is a macronutrient, which is necessary for the body to function optimally, helping to increase one’s overall energy level.
4. Optimal Brain Function: Consuming high quality proteins allows the building blocks to transport important messages to the brain, which helps with: motivation, cognition, & alertness.
5. Increased Muscle Mass: Eating protein stimulates an increase in muscle tissue production, while slowing down any breakdown. In turn, this aids in developing greater muscle mass and lean tissue.
Quest Cinnamon Crunch Protein Powder:
Are you getting enough protein in your diet? The daily recommendation for Adult Women is 46 grams/day and Adult Men is 56 grams/day. One quick and easy way to add protein to your diet is by using a protein supplement. I recently discovered Quest Cinnamon Crunch Protein Powder at my local GNC store and I love it! Each scoop contains 20 grams of protein, which is almost half of what I need in a day. It is also gluten and soy free and has less than 1 gram of sugar in it! The protein to calorie ratio is 80% and if you are “carb conscious” it is perfect as there is only 1 gram of Net Carbs per serving.
So how do I use it? I love buying the individual packs at GNC so I can drink a protein shake on the go! I mix it with almond mix and it is delicious. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I would drink the milk from my cereal bowl after eating a cinnamon flavored cereal. I also blend it up in smoothies! Today I made this fabulous smoothie bowl with it! Check out the recipe, it was quick, easy, delicious, and filling. It was exactly what I needed after my long bike ride.
Yields 1 Serving
This smoothie bowl is quick, easy, delicious, and filling. It features yogurt and protein powder, plus your favorite crunchy toppings!
- 1 Cup Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 Packet Quest Cinnamon Crunch Protein Powder
- 1/2 Banana
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup of Apple, peeled & diced
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Granola
- Apple Slices
- Banana Slices
- 1/4 tsp Honey
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Blend Vanilla Yogurt, Quest Cinnamon Crunch Protein Powder, Banana, Almond Milk, Apple, and Honey in blender and pour into a bowl.
- Add Toppings
Are you getting enough protein in your diet? What is your favorite protein packed food? Will you give the Quest Cinnamon Crunch Protein Powder a try? Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.
Have a Great Weekend!
I am linking up with: