Happy Hump Day, I hope your Wednesday is treating you well! I started my official Ironman training this week, so I began my day with an hour long cycling workout full of tough intervals! Afterward, I did a 45 minute strength training session, so I am feeling pretty sore. I knew it would be a tough week getting back into training, so I did the family menu planning and meal prep this past Sunday. For dinner last night we had lean grilled chicken and the kid’s favorite veggie side dish: Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil. I wanted to share the recipe here as it is very simple to make, but quite tasty! The coconut oil enhances the sweetness of the potatoes and roasting the broccoli gives it a nutty flavor. This can be paired with just about anything or can be a vegetarian main course. Veggies for breakfast? I also enjoy eating the left overs with scrambled eggs in the morning.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
I love baking and cooking with coconut oil, as it is a very flavorful healthy fat. It has a number of benefits, which include: fighting bacteria and aiding to build muscles. It is also considered a “good fat” for heart health and helps to satiate hunger. Coconut oil can also be used for many other things, such as, a hair and scalp conditioner or a treatment for dry skin.
Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil
The coconut oil enhances the sweetness of the potatoes and roasting the broccoli gives it a nutty flavor. This can be paired with just about anything or can be a vegetarian main course.
- 3 Medium sized Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 Broccoli Crowns, cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oli
- Kosher Sea Salt and Coarse Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Place rack in upper 1/3 of oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spray Baking Sheet lightly with Cooking Spray (I like to use Olive Oil or Coconut Oil Spray)
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch cubes, then cut broccoli crowns into florets and spread on the baking sheet
- Place 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil on top of the vegetables. If you are not familiar with Coconut Oil it comes as a solid, but will melt when placed in the oven
- Place in upper 1/3 of the oven and roast for 5 minutes
- After approximately 5 minutes, the coconut oil should be melted, so take out of the oven and toss vegetables to coat with the oil, then sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place back in the oven and roast for additional 15 to 20 minutes. Remove when broccoli and sweet potatoes are lightly crisped.
Quick and Easy with just 3 ingredients!
So tell me…
What is your favorite veggie side dish? Do you have a quick and easy “go to” recipe that pleases the entire family? Have you ever cooked or baked with coconut oil? What other ways have you used coconut oil?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Enjoy the rest of your week!