Hot cocoa bombs are a fun way to make a cup of hot chocolate. But making your own bombs at home may seem intimidating. These easy hot chocolate bombs with M&Ms will change your mind! On top of being super simple to make, these DIY bombs are so much fun to use, too!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs with M&Ms?
Making your own DIY hot chocolate bombs at home is easier than you think. In fact, you only need a handful of ingredients and one special tool to whip up your own hot cocoa bombs in a matter of minutes. Here is what you need to make these easy hot chocolate bombs:
- Round silicone mold: They key to making your own hot cocoa bombs at home is a round silicone mold. This mold will allow you to form the chocolate into a sphere and stuff lots of delicious hot chocolate goodies inside.
- Chocolate chips: For this recipe, I used milk chocolate chips to match the flavor of the candy topping, but you can use any flavor of chocolate chips you want for your bombs.
- Instant hot cocoa mix: Add more chocolate flavor to your bombs with the help of instant hot cocoa mix inside.
- Mini marshmallows: You can’t have a cup of hot chocolate without marshmallows! These are the best choice because they fit perfectly inside your bombs.
- Mini M&Ms: With the help of mini M&Ms, you can add a fun pop of color to the top of your hot chocolate bombs.
Looking for more Chocolate Bomb Recipes? Give these reader favorite a try!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
Once you have all your ingredients gathered, you can start putting your hot chocolate bombs together. Follow these simple steps to make these easy hot chocolate bombs at home.
Step One: Melt the Chocolate
Before you can create your hot chocolate bombs, you’ll need to prepare your chocolate chips. The quickest and easiest way to melt your chocolate is to put it in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high in 30 second intervals. After each interval, remove the bowl and stir the chocolate.
Continue heating in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted. Be careful not to overcook your chocolate or it will seize up and be unusable.
Step Two: Fill the Mold
After the chocolate is melted, spoon a small amount into each half-circle on the mold. Use the back of your spoon to spread the chocolate evenly over the sides of the mold until it is completely covered. Make sure to spread the chocolate up to the edge of each circle to ensure you have an even border around the top of each half-circle.
After filling each mold, allow the chocolate to set completely before moving on to the next step. You can give your chocolate around one hour to set on the countertop or place it in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes to speed up the cooling process.
Step Three: Fill the Bombs
When your chocolate has hardened, it’s time to start adding your fillings. Start by removing each of the half circles from the mold, then set half of your pieces aside. Next, pour around one tablespoon of instant hot cocoa mix in each of the remaining chocolate pieces and top the cocoa with a few mini M&Ms and mini marshmallows.
Step Four: Top with Colored Candy
To finish making the hot cocoa bombs, melt your leftover chocolate in the microwave again, heating in 15 second intervals this time. When the chocolate has melted, dip the edge of one of the empty chocolate pieces in the melted chocolate and place it on top of one of the filled pieces. Continue this process until all your bombs are complete.
How to Decorate the Chocolate Treats
While you could be finished making your bombs after topping them with a piece of chocolate and sealing the seams, what would be the fun in that? The best part about creating your own hot cocoa bombs is decorating them!
There are a variety of ways you can decorate your bombs. I used mini M&Ms to decorate my bombs to add some fun rainbow color to them. To do this, I placed my remaining melted chocolate in a piping bag and drizzled it over the top of each bomb. Then, I pressed the candy into place on top of the melted chocolate.
In addition to candy, you could also use these decorating ideas for your hot cocoa bombs:
- Different chocolates: Melt white and dark chocolate and drizzle the two flavors over the top of the bombs.
- Sprinkles: Use different types of sprinkles to decorate your bombs by drizzling chocolate over the top and spreading a layer of sprinkles over the chocolate before it hardens
- Flavored baking chips: Add more flavor to your bombs by melting flavored baking chips, like peanut butter or butterscotch, and drizzling it over the top of the bombs
- Chopped candy: You could also add different chopped candy to the top of your bombs, like peanut butter cups, Snickers bars, or Kit Kats
How Do You Use Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Once you have your hot chocolate bombs made, you might be wondering how do you use them? Using your bombs to make hot cocoa is so easy! Start by warming a cup of milk in the microwave until it’s very hot – usually around one minute. Place the bomb in a mug, then pour the hot milk over the top. Give the bomb a chance to melt or help it along by stirring with a spoon.
Hot Chocolate Bombs with M&Ms
- 12 ounce package milk chocolate chips
- 1 packet instant cocoa mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup mini M&Ms
- 6 cups hot milk to make the bombs
- Place the milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Put a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one cup on the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold. Continue this process until all the molds are coated.
- Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely, around 2 to 3 hours. You can speed up the process by placing the chocolate in the refrigerator.
- When the chocolate is set, remove each of the chocolate pieces from the mold. Add a small amount of instant hot cocoa mix to half the pieces and top the hot cocoa mix with mini M&Ms and marshmallows.
- Reheat the chocolate in 15 second intervals until melted. Pick up an empty chocolate piece and dip the edges into the melted chocolate. Carefully place it on top of a filled piece and lightly press it into place. Use your finger to smooth melted chocolate around the seam. Continue until all the chocolate bombs are sealed.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bombs and decorate with mini M&Ms.
- Allow the chocolate decorations to set before using, around 1 hour.
- To make the hot chocolate bombs, place the bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. When the chocolate is completely melted, stir to combine.