There are so many delicious flavors to enjoy during the fall months – from crisp apples to creamy pumpkin. But one of my favorite fall treats is apple butter! With this simple apple butter dessert recipe, you can prepare a yummy sweet treat for your holiday get together using just five ingredients. With the help of crescent roll dough, this simple dessert will make the perfect end to a delicious Thanksgiving meal.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make This Apple Butter Dessert?
You’re going to love the simple combination of flavors in this quick and easy pastry recipe. And since it’s baked with premade ingredients, it couldn’t be easier to put together. To make your own apple butter twists, you’ll need:
Looking for more delicious Apple Dessert Recipes? Give these reader favorites a try!
How Do I Make This Apple Butter Dessert?
Since this easy dessert recipe is made with premade dough and jarred apple butter, it’s super simple to prepare. Just follow these four easy steps to make your own fall treats at home right now:
Step One: Prepare the Dough
The first step to making this crescent roll dessert is to get your dough ready for baking. Start by unrolling your crescent roll dough sheet. Then, use a rolling pin to flatten the dough out until it’s around ¼ inch thick.
Step Two: Add the Apple Butter
When the dough is ready to go, spread a thin layer of apple butter across the entire sheet of dough. Continue brushing the butter over the dough until it’s evenly spread across the whole sheet.
Step Three: Twist the Crescent Roll Dough
Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into one-inch strips. When the strips are ready, start by folding one strip in half lengthwise over the top of the apple butter. Then, carefully fold the strip in half again and twist the ends over each other. When you reach the end of the twist, pinch the two ends together to hold them in place.
Step Four: Bake the Apple Butter Dessert
Place the dough twists on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then, bake the dessert at 375 degrees for 10 to 13 minutes, until the dough is golden brown. Once the twists are finished baking, remove the pan from the oven and brush each piece with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the top of the dough, then allow the treats to cool completely before serving.
How Do I Make a Crescent Roll Dough Sheet?
Did you know that Pillsbury now makes a full sheet of crescent roll dough? It’s so handy for making desserts like this that don’t require the traditional crescent roll triangles. But if you can’t find full sheets at your grocery store, don’t worry! It’s easy to turn your perforated dough into a full sheet to make your own pastry twists.
To turn your traditional crescent roll dough into a sheet, just follow these easy steps:
- Unroll the entire sheet of dough. Start by unwrapping the dough and spreading it out on a flat surface. To keep the dough from sticking to your work surface, try dusting the area with a little bit of flour before placing the dough on top.
- Pinch together the seams. The next thing you need to do to create a full dough sheet is to remove the seams from between the triangles. Use your fingers to pinch the seams together. Then, flip the sheet over and pinch the seams together on the other side to ensure they’re fully sealed.
- Roll out the dough. The final step to creating a full dough sheet is to roll out the sheet with a rolling pin. This will help seal the seams and create a solid sheet of dough, making it easier to cut your dough strips later on.
Apple Butter Dessert Ideas
These delicious pastries are the perfect dessert for a fall day! And since they’re so easy to make, they’re also easy to adjust. Try these recipe ideas to change things up a little bit the next time you prepare these yummy apple butter treats.
- Try it with puff pastry dough. Crescent roll dough is a great option for a quick and easy dessert. But you can also make these twists with puff pastry dough. Make sure to allow the frozen dough to thaw, then you can spread the apple butter over the top of the pastry sheet, cut it into strips, and twist the strips together. After that, just follow the baking instructions on the pastry dough box.
- Use different toppings. You can’t go wrong with cinnamon and sugar when making an apple dessert. But if you want to change up the flavor of your treats, try topping the twists with some different ingredients. Drizzle the apple butter twists with caramel sauce, sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top, or make a simple powdered sugar glaze to add to each pastry.
- Add some apples. Give your apple butter twists even more apple flavor with the help of fresh apples. Finely chop an apple and sprinkle the pieces over the top of the apple butter before baking to give the pastries some fall flavor and a little bit of crunch.
Easy Apple Butter Dessert Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the dough sheet and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it’s around ¼ inch thick.
- Brush the apple butter over the entire sheet.
- Cut the dough into one inch strips.
- To create the twist, fold one strip in half lengthwise over the top of the apple butter. Bend the folded dough in half again and twist the ends. Pinch the ends together to secure the twist and transfer it to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the twists for 10 to 13 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- After removing the twists from the oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.