Made from a combination of tomatillos and serrano peppers, Mexican green sauce is a popular topping for a variety of dishes. But there’s no reason to head to your favorite Mexican restaurant the next time you crave this spicy condiment! Instead, make your green topping at home with this easy authentic salsa verde recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make This Authentic Salsa Verde Recipe?
Prepared with fresh ingredients, this authentic salsa recipe is packed with flavor. And while there’s tons of Mexican influence in this easy dip, you don’t need a ton of ingredients to prepare it. To make authentic salsa verde at home, you’ll need:
- Green tomatillos
- Serrano chili
- Minced onion
- Garlic clove
- Mince cilantro
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
Looking for more delicious recipes? Give these reader favorites a try!
How Do I Make This Authentic Salsa Verde Recipe?
You’ll love how quick and easy it is to make your salsa verde right in your kitchen. All you need are a handful of ingredients and a blender to whip up this spicy dip with just a few minutes of prep work. Follow these simple instructions for making your green sauce.
Step One: Prepare the Vegetables
Before you can start blending your ingredients for your salsa, you’ll need to take a few minutes to prep your ingredients. Start by removing the papery husks from each of the tomatillos. Then, rinse the tomatillos and chili pepper with water to remove any extra debris. Then, cut the tomatillos into small pieces and mince your onion and fresh cilantro.
Step Two: Blend the Salsa
Place your prepped tomatillos, chili pepper, and one tablespoon of onion in the pitcher of your blender with the garlic, one teaspoon of cilantro, lemon juice, water, and salt. Blend the salsa ingredients until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
Step Three: Serve Your Salsa Verde
Transfer the blended salsa to a serving dish and top with pieces of avocado, along with the remaining minced onion and cilantro.
How Do I Pick the Best Tomatillos?
Since tomatillos are the base of this authentic salsa recipe, it’s important to start with the best ingredients. When shopping for your salsa ingredients, pick the best tomatillos to ensure your salsa has the best flavor.
While all tomatillos at the store are usually ripe, they will range in flavor based on their size. Smaller tomatillos are naturally sweeter than larger ones. So, to avoid making bitter salsa, stay away from the larger varieties when preparing this recipe.
Can I Use Green Tomatoes Instead of Tomatillos?
If you hope to make your salsa verde as authentic as possible, tomatillos are a must. But if you don’t have any or can’t find any at your local grocery store, you can replace them with green tomatoes.
While tomatillos are often called Mexican green tomatoes, they do have a slightly different flavor. Tomatillos are a little bit more acidic than traditional green tomatoes, so it’s essential to do a taste test as you prepare your salsa. If you find that your recipe tastes a bit off, try increasing the lemon juice or adding a pinch more salt to balance out the flavor differences.
Salsa Verde Recipe Ideas
Once you try this authentic recipe, you’re never going to buy store-bought salsa verde again! On top of tasting amazing thanks to the use of fresh ingredients, this homemade version can also easily be adjusted to suit your preferences. Try these recipe ideas as you make your salsa to create a delicious dip and topping for all your Mexican dinners.
- Increase the heat. While this authentic recipe packs plenty of punch, there’s no reason you can’t make your salsa as spicy as you want! If you’re going to increase the spice level of your salsa, simply add more serrano peppers. Or, to make a milder salsa, reduce the amount of pepper you add to your dip.
- Roast the vegetables. Give your salsa verde even more flavor by taking the time to roast your tomatillos and peppers before adding them to the blender. Roasting will bring out the vegetable’s natural flavors and give the salsa an added smokiness.
- Make it creamy. To create a creamy salsa verde, simply add the avocados to the blender with the rest of the ingredients instead of the serving bowl. Blending the avocados with the tomatillos and pepper will give the dip a creamy texture and help balance the heat from the chilis.
How to Store Salsa Verde
After serving your salsa, you might have a little leftover. Transfer the extra sauce to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. When stored properly, the salsa will stay good for up to three days.
What To Serve with Authentic Salsa Verde?
This delicious salsa pairs perfectly with so many amazing dippers! But dipping isn’t the only thing you can eat with homemade sauce. Try serving your authentic salsa with some of these snacks and other recipe ideas.
Authentic Salsa Verde Recipe
- 1 lb green tomatillos
- 1 serrano chili pepper seeded and minced
- 2 Tablespoons onion minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro minced and more for garnish, if desired
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ½ - 1 teaspoon of salt depending on your taste
- 1 ripe Avocado peeled and diced
- Start by removing the papery husks from each of the tomatillos. Then, rinse the tomatillos and chili pepper with water to remove any extra debris. Then, cut the tomatillos into small pieces and mince your onion and fresh cilantro.
- Place your prepped tomatillos, chili pepper, and one tablespoon of onion in the pitcher of your blender with the garlic, one teaspoon of cilantro, lemon juice, water, and salt. Blend the salsa ingredients until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Transfer the blended salsa to a serving dish and top with pieces of avocado, along with the remaining minced onion and cilantro.