Pico de Gallo is a classic type of salsa served in Mexican cuisine. It is also know as salsa fresca, salsa bandera or salsa crude. It differs from other salsas as it is made from all fresh, chopped ingredients that include: tomatoes, onion, Serrano chili peppers and cilantro. Then, it is tossed with fresh lime juice and salt and pepper. This recipe is a traditional version of Pico de Gallo.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What ingredients are in the Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)?
- White Onion
- Serrano Chili Peppers
- Roma Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sea Salt
- Avocado (for garnish, if desired)
How do I make the Pico de Gallo?
This fresh Mexican salsa is so easy to make! All you need to do is follow these simple steps.
Step 1: Prepare Ingredients
Prepare ingredients by dicing the Roma tomatoes and onion and add to a serving bowl. Next, cut the Serrano pepper(s) in half, seed them and remove rib. Then, dice finely and add to serving bowl. Then, remove cilantro leaves from stem, finely dice and add to serving bowl.
Step 2: Add in Lime Juice and Seasoning
Step 3: Serve and Enjoy!
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and avocado cut into thin slices, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Note: The Serrano chilis are all very different, and you won’t know how spicy each one is until you have cut it open and tried it. Some are quite mild and some are very, very spicy, so keep that in mind when adding the amount of chilis to your recipe.
Authentic Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- 1/2 small white onion diced
- 1 -2 Serrano chili peppers seeded and diced ***See note on chili peppers***
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 limes juiced with seeds removed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 avocado thinly sliced, for garnish, if desired
- cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
- Prepare ingredients by dicing the Roma tomatoes and onion and add to a serving bowl.
- Cut the Serrano pepper(s) in half, seed them and remove rib. Then, dice finely and add to serving bowl.
- Remove cilantro leaves from stem, finely dice and add to serving bowl.
- Add in the juice of 2 limes, salt and pepper.
- Mix until well-combined. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Let Pico de Gallo rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and avocado cut into thin slices, if desired
- Serve and enjoy!