Healthy Walking Tacos
Tacos in a bag are a fun, family-friendly dinner idea. But since they’re made with corn chips and greasy taco meat, they’re not a low-carb option. Luckily, all you have to do is make a few simple substitutions to turn this fun dinner recipe into a keto-friendly treat. That makes this recipe for healthy walking tacos the perfect dinner idea for your family tonight!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make Healthy Walking Tacos?
The delicious combination of chips, cheese, and taco meat doesn’t exactly sound like a healthy dinner idea. But when you prepare these tacos in a bag with a handful of healthy ingredients, you can turn a junk food classic into a protein-filled dinner! All you need are a few simple ingredients, including:
- Ground turkey
- Low-sodium taco seasoning
- Quest protein chips (loaded taco flavor)
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded taco blend cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Restaurant style salsa
How Do I Make Healthy Walking Tacos?
On top of being packed with protein, these healthy tacos in a bag are also packed with flavor. But that doesn’t mean they’re difficult to make! You can whip up this easy dinner with just a few minutes of prep work. All you have to do is follow these simple steps.
Step One: Prepare the Taco Meat
This simple dinner recipe starts with a batch of ground turkey. Add the turkey to a large skillet and cook until the meat is browned and crumbled. Add the water and taco seasoning and stir to mix. Bring the liquid to a simmer and continue cooking until the water has reduced. Then, remove the pan from heat and set the meat aside.
Step Two: Get the Chips Ready
Cut the tops off each Quest chips bag and place them upright in the bottom of a casserole dish.
Step Three: Fill the Chip Bags
Evenly distribute the ground turkey across each of the chip bags. After that, top the meat with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and tomatoes. Add two tablespoons of cottage cheese and two tablespoons of salsa to each bag before serving.
What Are Walking Tacos?
You might wonder what it is if you’ve never had a taco in a bag! This fun recipe is precisely what it sounds like – taco ingredients assembled inside a chip bag. Traditionally, walking tacos are made with tortilla chips or corn chips and filled with taco meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and other taco toppings. You can eat the tacos while standing or walking with a fork without the mess.
Walking Taco Recipe Ideas
Everyone in your family will love these walking tacos’ delicious combination of protein chips and taco ingredients. But that doesn’t mean you have to follow the recipe exactly to create a delicious and healthy dinner tonight. Try these recipe additions and substitutions to make a fantastic meal everyone in your family will love.
- Add some beans. If you’re not looking to keep your healthy walking tacos low carb, why not add even more protein to the dinner with the help of some beans? Mix in cooked black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans for even more taco flavor.
- Try different meat. Ground turkey is an excellent option for adding protein without much extra fat. But it’s not the only option for preparing these healthy taco bags. You can also use lean ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork, or shredded chicken instead of ground turkey.
- Add more cheese. Cheese is one of the best parts of tacos, which means the more cheese, the better! In addition to taco blend cheese, you can top your walking tacos with Monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese, queso dip, or pepper jack cheese for added spice.
- Try different chip flavors. Loaded taco flavor Quest chips are a great option for walking tacos. But there are several other flavors of protein chips that would pair perfectly with the other taco ingredients. In addition to loaded taco, you could also try making this recipe with hot and spicy tortilla chips, nacho cheese, chili lime, spicy sweet chili or ranch chips.
Healthy Walking Taco Topping Ideas
In addition to changing the ingredients you use in your walking tacos, you can add more flavor to your dinner with the help of toppings. Try serving your tacos in a bag with some additional toppings to create a customized dinner for each person in your family.
- Black olives
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Bell pepper
- Red or white onion
- Taco sauce
How Do I Store Walking Tacos?
Walking tacos should be eaten right after they’re made. The longer the ingredients sit in the chip bag, they will start to get wilted and soggy. If you don’t plan on serving your tacos in a bag immediately, prepare the ingredients separately and assemble them when you’re ready to eat them.
The ground turkey taco meat can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container for up to three days. To heat the turkey, warm it up in the microwave or heat it in a skillet over medium heat until it’s warmed through.
Healthy Walking Tacos
- Add the turkey to a large skillet and cook until the meat is browned and crumbled.
- Add the water and taco seasoning and stir to mix. Bring the liquid to a simmer and continue cooking until the water has reduced. Then, remove the pan from heat and set the meat aside.
- Cut the tops off each Quest chips bag and place them upright in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Evenly distribute the ground turkey across each of the chip bags.
- Top the meat with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and tomatoes.
- Add two tablespoons of cottage cheese and two tablespoons of salsa to each bag before serving.