This Vegan Baked Oatmeal with Fresh Fruit is so delicious and easy to make! A blend of gluten-free oats, almonds, cranberries, pumpkin and chia seeds come together in this plant-based breakfast recipe. This baked oatmeal recipe is also great for meal prep, making it easy to have a hot breakfast on a busy morning!
Although things do not look the same as they have in years past, school will be starting soon. This means the mornings will definitely be more chaotic and rushed. I do like to make sure everyone has a good breakfast, so during weekdays meal prep is vital!
One of my favorite breakfast recipes to prepare ahead of time is this simple Vegan Baked Oatmeal with Fresh Fruit. It is a versatile dish that can be made the night before and reheated in the morning. It is healthy and delicious and helps keep everyone fueled for their busy day ahead.
* This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Vegan Baked Oatmeal with Fresh Fruit?
This meal prep recipe comes together with a few simple ingredients. Here is what you will need to prepare the Baked Oatmeal Recipe:
- Chia Seeds
- Gluten-Free Oats
- Soy Milk
- Chocolate Chips
- Pumpkin Purée
- Dried Cranberries
- Agave Syrup
- Canola Oil
Kitchen Items Needed:
How do I make the Vegan Oatmeal Recipe?
There are just a few steps to making this delicious vegan recipe. Here is what you will need to do:
Step 1: Prepare Chia Seeds
Start off by preparing the chia seeds. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of chia seeds with 5 tablespoons of water, set aside and let stand for 5 minutes or until combination begins to thicken.
Pro Tip: This combination of chia seeds = 2 chia eggs, a common ingredient you will see in vegan recipes. (1 chia egg is the combination of 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 2 1/2 tablespoons of water).
Step 2: Prepare ingredients
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 5 inch (or an 8 x 8 inch) baking dish with oil. Next, add the chia eggs, pumpkin purée, agave syrup and canola oil in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Then, add the oats, soy milk and spices to the bowl and combine. Last, add half of the almonds and half of the cranberries to the bowl and stir again.
Step 3: Bake the Oatmeal
Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish and add chocolate chips and the remaining almonds and dried cranberries on top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
Step 4: Serve Warm with fruit and enjoy!
Allow baked oatmeal to cool for 10 minutes. Then, serve warm with fruit on top and enjoy!
Can I store the Vegan Baked Oatmeal?
Yes, this dish can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 5 days. It is a great recipe for meal prep and can be prepared and baked ahead of time, then reheated. It can also be prepared ahead of and baked the next day. I do not recommend freezing it.
Are there variations to this recipe?
Yes, there are many variations to this dish. Here a few different ways to prepare the dish:
- Plant Based Milk: I use soy milk in this version, but that can easily be interchanged with coconut milk, almond milk or even regular milk if you do not follow a vegan diet.
- Chia Eggs: Because this is a plant based dish, I use the 2 chia eggs to prepare it. However, if you are not following a vegan diet, you can use 1 regular egg to substitute for the 2 chia eggs.
- Flavor: I use pumpkin purée in this recipe to contribute to the flavor, but that can be interchanged for different flavors. For instance, instead of the pumpkin puree, add in puréed raspberries or blueberries.
- Sweetener: This recipe calls for agave syrup, but feel free to use the sweetener of your choice. Honey, maple syrup and brown sugar all work well.
What toppings are best on the vegan baked oatmeal?
I love using fresh fruit on top of the oatmeal. For this recipe, I added the fruit I had on hand, fresh cherries, blueberries and strawberries. However, just about any fruit would taste good. I think bananas, peaches, nectarine slices and even chunks of pineapple would work.
Of course, If you are not all that excited about adding fruit, eat it warm right out of the oven! The flavor is fabulous without any additions. If you are looking for something other than fruit, here are a few other ideas:
- Coconut: Top the oatmeal with shredded coconut
- Whipped Cream: If you do not need this to be a vegan meal, add a dollop of fresh whipped cream or a plant-based alternative whipped topping.
- Nuts: Consider changing out the almonds for pecans, walnuts or pistachios.
- White Chocolate: Add white chocolate chips instead of chocolate chips.
- Maple Syrup: Drizzle maple syrup or honey on top of each serving.
These are just a few suggestions, but there are numerous ways to mix up this simple baked oatmeal recipe!
So Tell Me…
Are you ready for school to start back ups? Do you meal prep for the week? What is your go-to breakfast for busy mornings? Have you ever made Vegan Baked Oatmeal?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. Have a great week!
Vegan Baked Oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free oats
- 2 cups soy milk or plant based milk of choice
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Fresh Fruit Cherries, Strawberries, Blueberries, or anything you have on hand!
- Mix 2 tablespoon chia seeds with 5 tablespoons water. Stir and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 350 F and grease a 9 x 5 inch baking dish with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chia mixture, pumpkin purée, agave syrup and oil and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add oats, soy milk and spices in the bowl.
- Add half of the almonds and half of the cranberries. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and the remaining cranberries and almonds.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with fruits and enjoy!