Pumpkin gnocchi is the new recipe taking Tik Tok by storm. If you’ve wanted to try making your own homemade gnocchi, but you’re not sure where to start, you’re going to love this recipe! This adorable pumpkin shaped pasta is a fun way to serve up this classic Italian dish. Whip up this fun recipe for your next holiday meal to really impress your guest.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make Pumpkin Gnocchi?
This adorable pumpkin gnocchi recipe is perfect for the holiday season! But the best part is how easy it is to make. To make your own homemade gnocchi, you’ll need:
Looking for some more recipes inspired by Tik Tok? Give these reader favorites a try:
How Do I Make Pumpkin Gnocchi?
Making your own gnocchi at home may seem intimidating if you’ve never done it before. But once you try this quick recipe, you’ll be hooked. Follow these four simple steps to make this recipe for pumpkin gnocchi:
Step One: Drain the Pumpkin
Canned pumpkin puree is typically very watery. To keep your gnocchi from being mushy, you need to drain the pumpkin before adding it to the dough. Line a bowl or strainer with paper towels, then spoon the pumpkin puree on top. Let the pumpkin sit on the towels for five to 10 minutes, then transfer it to a large bowl and discard the leftover liquid.
Step Two: Prepare the Dough
Add the flour, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the bowl with the pumpkin. Gently mix the ingredients together until a soft dough begins to form. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
Step Three: Roll the Dough
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured countertop or cutting board. Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough, rolling the dough ball between your hands until it’s smooth. Place the dough ball on the floured surface. Continue rolling the dough into balls until all the dough has been used. To create a pumpkin shape with your gnocchi dough, use a food-safe string or toothpick to create the pumpkin markings on the sides of the dough balls. Then, press down lightly on the ball to slightly flatten each pumpkin shape.
Step Four: Boil the Gnocchi
Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Season the water lightly with salt, then carefully place the pumpkin gnocchi in the boiling water. Continue adding the pumpkins to the water until all have been placed in the pot. Let the gnocchi boil until they begin to float. Allow them to cook for another minute or two after they start floating, then use a slotted spoon to remove the gnocchi from the water.
Step Five: Decorate the Pumpkin Gnocchi
After removing the pumpkin gnocchi from the water, press a whole clove into the top of each pumpkin to create a stem. Serve your gnocchi with your favorite sauce, making sure to remove the clove from the top of the pumpkin before eating.
Pumpkin Gnocchi Tips & Tricks
You won’t believe how simple it is to make your own gnocchi at home. And with these easy tips and tricks, you’ll be a gnocchi making pro in no time!
- Make it with fresh or canned pumpkin. Using canned pumpkin is a great way to speed up the prep time of this recipe, but you can also use fresh pumpkin to make your gnocchi. Start by roasting your pumpkin, then scraping the flesh from the skin. Puree the pumpkin in a blender or food processor, then allow the pumpkin to drain for a few minutes. After that, add your pumpkin puree to the rest of the ingredients and follow the recipe instructions.
- Use soft ricotta for best results. There are a variety of different ricotta cheese you can use for gnocchi, but soft, spreadable ricotta is the best choice for this recipe. Soft ricotta is more pliable, making it easier to mix into the other ingredients. You can find this type of ricotta cheese in the refrigerator section of your grocery story.
- Don’t add too much flour. Over flouring your dough will cause your gnocchi to be dry and it might even fall apart as it cooks. While your dough shouldn’t be sticky, it shouldn’t be crumbly either. If your dough is still sticky after adding the recommended amount of flour in the recipe, add a small amount of flour to the bowl at a time until it begins to pull away from the edge of the bowl.
- Use a tablespoon for even balls. While it might be tempting to simply pinch off the dough and roll it in your hands, for even cooking it’s a good idea to use a tablespoon. A spoon will allow you to ensure your that each ball is the same size. This is important in cooking your gnocchi evenly in the pan.
Tik Tock Inspired Pumpkin Gnocchi
- Prepare the pumpkin by seeping some of the liquid out. To do this line a bowl or a strainer with a few layers of paper towels, then place the pumpkin puree on top of the paper towels. Let this sit for 5/10 minutes.
- Gently mix together all of the ingredients in a large bowl. A soft but pliable dough will form, if the dough is too wet or sticky, add additional flour as needed 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a clean countertop or cutting board. Taking about 1 Tablespoon of dough at a time, roll the dough between your palms to create a ball shape, set the ball onto your floured surface. Repeat this until all the dough has been rolled.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, season the water with a little salt.
- Using the side of a toothpick or a piece of string to create pumpkin markings on each dough ball, then very gently press down the top just a bit to make the ball a little more squaty in shape.
- Once all of the gnocchi are shaped and the water is boiling, carefully slide them into the pot of water.
- Let the gnocchi boil until they begin to float, once they are floating give them another minute or two then take them out of the water.
- Place a whole clove into the top of each gnocchi to look like a pumpkin stem.
- Serve gnocchi with your favorite sauce! (it is recommended to remove the clove before eating.)