Pumpkin pie is a classic fall treat. But it’s not exactly healthy. If you’re looking for a simple way to enjoy the flavors of your favorite Thanksgiving dessert with out all those extra calories, you’re going to love this pumpkin pie smoothie recipe. Made with bananas, almond milk, and Greek yogurt, this protein packed shake is a delicious – and healthy – way to enjoy your favorite fall recipe without the guilt.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie?
With the help of this delicious drink recipe, you can enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie for breakfast without worrying about going over your carb count for the day. That’s because this pumpkin pie smoothie is made with a variety of healthy ingredients that create the flavor of pie without all those extra calories. To make your own smoothie at home, you’ll need:
- Frozen banana
- Pumpkin puree
- Greek yogurt
- Almond milk
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin spice
- Ground cinnamon
How Do I Make a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie?
All you need is a blender to prepare this delicious pumpkin treat at home. That means you can whip up your own pumpkin smoothie by following these two simple steps:
Step One: Blend the Ingredients
Add the banana, pumpkin puree, Greek yogurt, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and ice to your blender. Blend the ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
Step Two: Add Your Toppings
Pour the blended smoothie ingredients into a glass and top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon before serving.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Ideas
This easy recipe is the perfect way to start a fall day! But that doesn’t mean you can’t change up the recipe to make it your own. Try these smoothie ideas when you’re preparing your morning treat to create a delicious breakfast every morning this week.
- Skip the pumpkin pie filling. While this is a recipe for a pumpkin pie smoothie, avoid using pumpkin pie filling in your drink. Although canned pumpkin puree is perfectly healthy, pumpkin pie filling is not. That’s because canned pumpkin pie filling is made with sugar and other ingredients used in pumpkin pie. That means you’ll be mixing in some unwanted carbs and calories if you use this option in your smoothie.
- Add more pumpkin. If you want to increase the pumpkin flavor of this smoothie recipe, simply add more pumpkin or more pumpkin spice. You can add up to ½ cup of pumpkin puree to the smoothie to increase the flavor of the pumpkin. Or mix in some additional pumpkin spice to really take the fall flavor up a notch.
- Mix in some protein powder. Add even more protein to your morning smoothie with a scoop of protein powder. To avoid taking away from the pumpkin flavors of your smoothie, stick with vanilla protein powder. Simply add it directly to the blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add some oats. Turn your smoothie into a filling meal with the addition of oats. Add 1/3 cup of oats to the blender with the rest of the smoothie ingredients and blend until all the ingredients are well combined. The blender will chop the oats, allowing you to thicken the smoothie and add some fiber to your drink.
How Do You Thicken a Smoothie?
There’s nothing worse than a runny smoothie! So, if you’re wondering how to ensure your pumpkin pie smoothie comes out thick and creamy, you’re in luck. With the help of these tips and tricks, you can create a deliciously creamy smoothie every time you get out the blender.
- Use frozen banana. Banana is one of the best ways to thicken your smoothies. And while using fresh bananas will help add some thickness to your drink, frozen banana is the best option. To prepare your bananas for smoothies, start by slicing the bananas and placing them in a single layer on a baking sheet or plate. Place the plate in the freezer and chill until the bananas are frozen solid. After that, you can transfer the frozen slices to a freezer bag for storage. One banana equals around one cup of frozen banana slices.
- Add some ice. Ice is another simple way to ensure your smoothie is nice and thick. And the best part about using ice to thicken your drink is that it doesn’t add any carbs or calories to the recipe. After blending your ingredients together, check the thickness of the smoothie. If it’s still runny, add a few more ice cubes until the desired consistency is reached.
- Use yogurt instead of milk. While milk is a popular option for preparing smoothies, it’s not great for creating a thickened drink. To add protein, calcium, and thickness to your smoothie, try mixing in Greek yogurt instead of plain milk.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 1 Frozen Banana
- ⅓ cup Pumpkin Purée If you want more of a Pumpkin flavor you can use ½ cup
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened Almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup ice or more to taste
- Optional: Whipped cream and additional cinnamon to top with.
- Place all the ingredients in a Nutribullet or blender and blend until smooth. If you want it thicker you can add in more ice.
- Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and extra cinnamon. Enjoy!