This Hasselback Roasted Butternut Squash with Brie recipe is a delicious twist on the traditional version using potatoes. Butternut squash, bay leaves, honey, walnuts and baked brie come together to create this beautiful dish that is perfect for a holiday dinner or Sunday supper!
I just love the taste of butternut squash. It is so delicious in soups like my Vegan Butternut Squash Soup or my Vegetarian Minestrone. However, I have been trying to get a little more creative with this favorite fall harvest vegetable!
Recently, I made Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash, which was a hit with the entire family. So, last night I decided to try something new when I roasted the squash. I made a Hasselback Style Roasted Butternut Squash with Baked Brie. It was so easy to make and will definitely be a new favorite for the kids.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Roasted Squash Recipe?
There are just 8 ingredients needed to make this yummy vegetarian dish. Here is what you will need:
Kitchen Items Needed:
How do I make the Hasselback Roasted Butternut Squash with Baked Brie?
There are just a few simple steps to making this vegetarian side dish. I find the most difficult part to be cutting, peeling and seeing the butternut squash. A real time saver is to buy the squash already prepped! So, see if you can find it at your local store. If not, make sure to use a good sharp knife when preparing the squash.
Step 1: Preheat oven and prepare squash
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside. Peel the butternut squash, then cut it in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place on prepared baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. This allows the squash to soften and will make it easier to slice.
Step 2: Slice squash Hasselback style
Remove from oven and carefully transfer to a wooden cutting board. Place the squash between 2 wooden spoons and with a sharp knife, cut thin slices but do not cut all the way through. Repeat with all squash halves.
Step 3: Add Bay leaves, brush with oil and bake
Place bay leaves between the slices. Then, mix together olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and brush the mixture on top of the squash with a basting brush. Place brie on the same parchment lined baking tray alongside the butternut squash. Bake on center rack in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 4: Add walnuts and honey and continue to bake
Remove from the oven and brush butternut squash with 2 tablespoons honey. Pour 1 tablespoon of honey on brie. Add walnuts on baking tray.Put the tray back in the oven and bake for another 30 minutes until butternut squash is tender.
Step 5: Remove from oven and serve warm with baked brie
Remove from oven and enjoy warm with baked brie. This makes a delicious side dish or vegetarian main dish. You can spread the baked brie on top of the squash or serve it separately, whichever you prefer.
How do I serve the butternut squash and brie?
It can be served warm as a vegetarian main dish with a salad or a plant based burger like this Vegan White Bean Burger. It also make a delicious side dish. In that case I cut each butternut squash half in half again, but width wise, so there will be 8 servings.
Can I store the Hasselback Butternut Squash and Brie?
It is best warm out of the oven, but it can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3 days. To reheat, place it in the oven on low until heated through.
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite way to prepare butternut squash? Have you ever made Hasselback Butternut Squash or the classic version with potatoes?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Hasselback Roasted Butternut Squash with Brie
- 2 small butternut squash cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed and peeled
- 4 to 5 ounce brie wheel cheese
- 24 bay leaves
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place on the baking tray and put in the oven for 10 minutes. This allows the squash to soften and will make it easier to slice.
- Remove from oven and carefully transfer to a wooden cutting board. Place squash between 2 wooden spoons and with a sharp knife cut slices by not cutting all the way through (refer to picture). Repeat the same with all squash and place on the baking tray.
- Place bay leaves between the slices.
- Mix olive oil, salt and pepper together. Brush butternut squash with the oil mixture.
- Arrange brie on the same baking tray and bake for 10 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Remove from the oven and brush butternut squash with 2 tablespoons honey. Pour 1 tablespoon of honey on brie.
- Add walnuts on baking tray.
- Put the tray back in the oven and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until butternut squash is tender.
- Remove from oven, serve warm and enjoy!