This Easy Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steak is a delicious, low carb, low calorie recipe. It is a tasty vegetarian entree that is perfect for a Meatless Monday. It is also a lovely, creative side dish to add to any meal!
Happy Monday, I hope you had a great weekend! Did you participate in any Super Bowl festivities yesterday? I am not a big football fan, but I do enjoy a good party! I made a batch of my Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower, which was a big hit. It is a delicious alternative to regular wings. I ended up buying more cauliflower than I needed, so I decided to make some Easy Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steaks for dinner. I love this simple low carb and low calorie recipe. It makes a wonderful Meatless Monday dinner and it is super simple to make!
What is a Cauliflower Steak?
Ok, I know you may be thinking cauliflower “steak”…how can cauliflower be a steak? This term has been floating around the internet and in cooking magazines for several years. From my point of view, it is just a fun way to describe thickly sliced, seasoned cauliflower that is either grilled or roasted in the oven. Of course, it could also be called “steak” because you will need a knife and fork to eat it. Whatever the reason, it is a fun and tasty dish that is often served with sauces and sides that one would also find with a “real” steak dinner. The recipe I am serving is very basic, so feel to get creative and add your favorite sauce on top of it or change up the seasonings!
Why Use Cauliflower?
Cauliflower has become one of the most popular cruciferous veggies to use in recipes. Why? It is loaded with fiber and contains almost every vitamin and mineral you need in your diet including: vitamins C, K and B6 as well as folate, potassium, magnesium and phosphate. It is low in calories and makes an excellent low carbohydrate alternative to grains and legumes. This is why you will now see it used in pizza crust and in place for rice in some dishes….and even as a steak!
Looking for more great ways to use Cauliflower, try out these recipes:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
What do I Need to Make this Recipe?
You will need just a few ingredients to make the Cauliflower Steaks:
How do I Make the Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steak?
This is very easy to make and there are many variations you can try as well. Start off by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. then, trim the stem of the cauliflower and remove the green leaves.
Next, place the cauliflower right side up on a large cutting board and cut in half using a sharp knife.
Take each half of the cauliflower and cut a 1 inch thick slice from each piece. If the cauliflower head is large enough, you may be able to cut 1 or 2 additional slices from each side. (There will be loose flowerettes left over, which can be saved and roasted alongside the cauliflower steaks)
Mix together the minced garlic with the olive oil in a small bowl. Then, arrange the cauliflower slices on a baking sheet and brush both sides of it generously with olive oil mixture.
Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste. Bake at 400 degrees on center rack for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and carefully flip the cauliflower slices over with a spatula.
Brush more garlic olive oil on top and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Return to oven for 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the cauliflower are brown.
Serve warm and enjoy!
How Should I Serve the Cauliflower Steaks?
They are best served right after they come out of the oven. This recipe is very simple, but feel free to get creative! Sometimes I serve mine with a mushroom sauce or even a tomato sauce. It is delicious served on a bed of spinach or over pasta. I also enjoy adding different spices or a store bought steak seasoning!
Easy Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steak
- Baking Sheet
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Trim the stem of the cauliflower and remove the green leaves.
- Place the cauliflower right side up on a cutting board. Using a large knife cut the cauliflower in half.
- From each half cut a 1 inch thick slice. If the cauliflower is very large you may be able to cut 1 or 2 more slices. *(Along with the slices of “steak” you will have lots of flowerettes left over. You can roast these along with the steaks or save them to use in other recipes.)
- Mix minced garlic with the olive oil in a small bowl.
- Arrange the cauliflower slices on a baking sheet and brush generously on both sides with the olive oil garlic mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with crushed red pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes carefully flip the cauliflower steaks over and brush with more garlic oil.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the steaks.
- Return to the oven for 25 minutes, until the cheese is golden and the edges of the cauliflower are brown.
So Tell Me…
Have you ever tried an Easy Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steak? What is your favorite way to prepare cauliflower? Do you have a special, alternative way you like to use cauliflower like in a pizza or as rice?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
PIN IT HERE↓