This Crock Pot French Dip recipe is easy to make and always a hit! Everyone loves making French Dip sandwiches on submarine rolls and topping them with cheese and the delicious au jus sauce. A family favorite comfort food that is perfect for any night of the week and it makes for great left overs too.
Being stuck at home for the past few weeks has really had me longing for comfort foods. Earlier this week I made my Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole and it really hit the spot! Yesterday, I asked the kids what they wanted for dinner and they put in a request for Crock Pot French Dip. It had been a while since I made it, so I was happy to oblige. As always, this tried and true recipe did not disappoint!
What ingredients do I need for the Crock Pot French Dip?
There are 14 ingredients needed for this Crock Pot French Dip Recipe. Most of them you probably already have at home. Here is what you will need:
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Low Sodium Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Provolone Cheese
- Submarine Sandwich Rolls
Kitchen Items Needed:
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Large Skillet
- Crock Pot
How do I make the Crock Pot French Dip?
Step 1: Prepare the vegetables and sear the beef
Peel and chop the onions and mince the garlic, then set aside. Season the beef chuck roast with salt, pepper and oregano by sprinkling it all over the meat. Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Put the meat in and sear the seasoned beef on both sides until it browns. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. When the meat is done searing, remove from the pan and set it aside.
Step 2: Cook the onions
After removing the meat from the skillet, add the onions to it. Sauté over medium high heat until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Then, add in the garlic and cook for additional 30 seconds, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add sprigs of thyme and remove the from heat.
Step 3: Add everything to the crock pot
Place the onion mixture in the crock pot first and put the beef on to of it. Then, add in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and beef. Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low 6 to 8 hours (depending on your crock pot).
Step 4: Shred the beef and prepare the au jus
Remove the beef from the crock pot and place on a cutting board. Drain the sauce from the crock pot over a colander in a large bowl for the au jus. Then, shred the beef and return it back to the crock pot with some of the au jus to keep warm.
Step 5: Prepare the sandwiches and enjoy!
To prepare the sandwiches, place slices of provolone cheese in the submarine rolls. Toast in oven at 450 degrees for a few minutes, until the cheese melts. Remove warmed rolls from oven and top with shredded beef. Serve with the au jus sauce to dip the sandwiches into.
Crock Pot French Dip
- Crock Pot
- 3 pounds whole beef chuck roast
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup beer
- 8 sliced provolone cheese
- 8 submarine rolls
- Chop and peel onions and mince the garlic cloves.
- Season beef with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Warm oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Sear seasoned beef on both sides until a beautiful brown sear color occurs (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Remove beef and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic, and cook an additional 30 seconds. Place thyme sprigs on top
- Place onions and beef into a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and beer Place the lid on and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Once beef is cooked, remove beef and set to the side. Drain sauce over a colander into a large bowl. The juice left over is the au jus that can be thickened. (Note below.)
- Shred beef and return to the slow cooker with some of the au jus to keep moist.
- To assemble sandwiches, place cheese into the inside of a hoagie roll and toast in the oven over 450 degrees for a few minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Top submarine rolls with shredded beef.
- Serve with au jus to dip into.
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium high heat.
- Add flour, whisk and cook for a minute and slowly whisk in the au jus.
- Continue whisking and let it come to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and the sauce will thicken a bit more once cooled down.
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite comfort food? Have you ever made French Dip Sandwiches?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!