Indulge in these Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats for the holidays! This yummy dessert is made with rice krispies, mini marshmallows, peppermint extract, chocolate chips, and peppermint candies for a quick and easy holiday treat!
I remember being a kid and eating rice krispie treats all the time. There is something so irresistible when you taste crunchy rice krispies and those heavenly ooey-gooey marshmallows. Since the holidays are right around the corner, I decided to whip up a batch with a seasonal flare. These Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats were so easy to make and a hit with the entire family!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
I am so excited for you to try these easy rice krispie treats! I think their minty flavor will wow you. Let’s take a look at what you need.
Kitchen Items Needed:
HOW DO I MAKE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT RICE KRISPIE TREATS
These rice Krispie treats are easy enough for a beginner, or even your kiddos can make them. Let’s get started:
STEP 1: MELT BUTTER & MARSHMALLOWS
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in peppermint extract.
STEP 2: ADD IN THE CEREAL AND ADD TO THE PAN
Add Rice Krispies, stir until well coated. Press the mixture into a parchment paper lined pan. Let cool.
STEP 3: MELT CHOCOLATE AND ADD TOPPINGS
Microwave chocolate until melted. Drizzle the top of the treats with chocolate and top with broken peppermint candies.
STEP 4: COOL, CUT INTO SQUARES AND ENJOY!
Once the chocolate has cooled, you can slice the treats into squares. Store in an airtight container. ENJOY!
If you are like me, you may want to add some extra flair to your recipes and not make them the same every time. Try out these fun twists:
- White Chocolate – You could either melt white chocolate and drizzle it on top of the finished goodies or add the chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Food Coloring – If you want them to be extra festive, add in a few drops of food coloring. Red or green are traditional Christmas colors, but you could go wild with your design.
- Mint M&M’s – To further enhance the mint flavor, toss in a few crushed mint M&M’s. Yummy!
- Andes Mints – This might just be my preferred add-in! Who can resist anything with Andes Mints in it? I recommend chopping them up and gently folding them in.
- Holiday Sprinkles – In addition to the peppermint candies, sometimes adding a few cheerful sprinkles takes them to the next level.
WHY ARE MY RICE KRISPIE TREATS HARD?
Unfortunately, sometimes the treats can end up hard. This is typically caused by heating the butter and the marshmallows using too high of heat. It’s vital to use low heat, so it slowly heats up and melts. Otherwise, if you get in a hurry and are tempted to turn up the heat, they will end up harder and drier.
WHY DID MY MELTED MARSHMALLOWS TURN INTO A BIG BLOB?
Typically, if you melt the marshmallows and butter together and they aren’t ooey and gooey, but turn into a blob, it’s probably because they are old. Using older marshmallows causes them not to melt properly because the exterior dries out and becomes firmer. For best results, always get a fresh bag of marshmallows to ensure they melt correctly.
HOW DO I STORE RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
After you are done making the Rice Krispie treats, and they have set up and cooled, put them inside of a food storage container. They should be kept at room temperature for the best results. Rice Krispies will last anywhere from 1-3 days if you don’t eat them all right away. Be sure to try out my Halloween Rice Krispie Pops too.
CAN YOU FREEZE RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
Yes, you actually can freeze rice krispie treats. I know that most people don’t realize it, but if you keep them airtight and in the freezer, they will last 3 weeks – 1 month. This prolongs their life so you can always have a quick snack on hand. The texture may be slightly different as they thaw out, but they are still delicious.
SO TELL ME…
What’s your favorite kind of rice krispie treat? Do you make a lot of desserts? What’s your go-to dessert recipe? Do you have a favorite rice krispie recipe?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup peppermint candies - broken into pieces
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Stir in peppermint extract.
- Add Rice Krispies, stir until well coated.
- Press the mixture into a parchment paper lined pan. Let cool.
- Microwave chocolate until melted.
- Drizzle the top of the treats with chocolate.
- Top with broken peppermint candies.
- Once chocolate has cooled, you can slice the treats into squares. Store in an airtight container.