Quick and easy recipe ideas are a must when you’re trying to find something to make for dinner on a busy weeknight! That’s where your air fryer can really come in handy. With the help of this air fryer sausage and peppers recipe, you can make a delicious dinner for your family in just 10 minutes. And the best part about this simple dinner idea is that it’s packed with flavor, which means it’s sure to be a hit with everyone in the family.
*This product contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers?
This quick and easy dinner recipe is a simple one-pan meal that the entire family will love. And since you only need a handful of ingredients to prepare this air fryer meal, you can whip it up with just a few minutes of prep work. To make brats in your air fryer, you’ll need:
- Bell peppers, red & yellow (or green)
- Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- Brats or Italian Sausages
- Hot dog buns (I used Brioche Hot Dog Buns)
How Do I Make Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers?
Make this simple air fryer dinner for your family in just a few simple steps! And since you’re using your fryer to cook this easy dinner, it can all be done in one pot. To make sausage with peppers and onions, just follow these three easy steps.
Step One: Prepare the Veggies
Before you can start cooking your sausages in the air fryer, you’ll need to take a few minutes to get your veggies ready for frying. First, slice the onion in to thin pieces. Then, cut the bell peppers into ½ inch thick slices. Place all the vegetables into a medium bowl and toss them with avocado oil, salt and pepper.
Step Two: Air Fry the Sausage and Peppers
Place the sliced peppers and onions in your air fryer, pushing all the veggies to one side of the basket. On the other side, place the sausages. Set the fryer to cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 to 10 minutes, until the inside of the brats reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step Three: Serve the Brats
When the sausages are finished cooking, serve them on the hot dog buns topped with peppers and onions.
Can Peppers and Onions Be Cooked in the Air Fryer?
Using your air fryer to cook peppers and onions to top your sausages is a great idea! That’s because your air fryer will perfectly cook your veggies without the mess that comes with sauteing them in a pan. Just follow these simple tips for cooking your peppers in the basket of your air fryer:
- Cut the peppers into larger slices. While using thinly sliced peppers and onions is a great idea for sauteing, it’s not a good option for cooking in the air fryer. Instead, try to cut the pieces around ½ inch thick to ensure they don’t overcook and burn while your sausages are cooking.
- Toss the veggies halfway through the cook time. To ensure your peppers and onions are cooked evenly, try removing the basket from the air fryer halfway through the cook time. Lightly toss the ingredients inside the basket to mix the veggies up. Then, return the basket to the fryer and continue cooking.
- Use a small amount of oil. To give your peppers and onions a crispy exterior and soft interior, it’s a good idea to use a small amount of oil. Lightly toss the veggies in oil before frying to add flavor and texture to your peppers while they cook.
How Do You Store Sausage and Peppers?
This delicious recipe for sausage and peppers tastes amazing, so I’d be surprised if you have any leftovers! But if you do have some sausages and peppers left after dinner is over, simply transfer the meat and veggies to an airtight container. You can store the peppers and sausage together in the same container for up to four days.
To reheat the sausage and peppers, you can cook them in the microwave, skillet, or in the basket of your air fryer.
What Kind of Sausage is Best for Making Sausage and Peppers?
There are so many delicious sausage options you can choose from when making this simple air fryer recipe. To create a classic sandwich, try cooking brats with the veggies in your air fryer. Other sausage options you could make include:
- Italian sausages
- Polish sausages
- Chicken or turkey sausage
- Andouille sausage
What to Serve with Brats and Peppers?
Now that you have the sandwiches ready to go for dinner, you’re going to need some ideas for what to serve with your brats! Try these simple side dish ideas to create a full meal for your family tonight.
- French fries or tater tots
- Macaroni and cheese
- Pasta salad
- Potato salad
- Sweet potato fries
- Cheesy potato casserole
- Steamed or roasted vegetables
- Creamy peas and bacon salad
- Three bean salad
- Corn on the cob
Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
- Place sliced onions and peppers into a medium bowl. Add the oil, salt and pepper and coat evenly.
- Place the sliced onions and peppers on one side of the air fryer basket. Place the brats on the other side.
- Cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 to 10 minutes or until sausages reach an internal temperature of 165 Fahrenheit when checked with a meat thermometer.