What better way to warm up during the cold winter months than with a cup of hot cocoa? That means this easy peppermint hot chocolate mix would make a great gift for the holidays! With the help of these easy instructions, you can put together an adorable present to give your loved ones this Christmas. Just add the ingredients to a jar, grab the printable gift tag, and pass out these cute gifts to all your friends.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix?
Your friends and neighbors will love to receive this heartfelt gift idea during the holidays. On top of being easy to put together, the recipe for this homemade peppermint hot chocolate mix can be made with just a handful of simple ingredients. To make your own peppermint cocoa mix, you’ll need:
- Chocolate chips
- Dark cocoa powder
- Mini marshmallows
- Peppermint candy
If you plan on turning this simple cocoa mix into a cute gift this holiday season, you’ll also need to have a few supplies on hand to put the handmade present together. To create this easy gift idea, you’ll need:
- Half pint mason jars
- String or ribbon
- Printable gift tags
How Do I Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix?
You won’t believe how easy it is to make your own hot chocolate mix at home. And when you package the gift in layers, you can create a beautiful present to give during the Christmas season. To make this cute gift in a jar, just follow these four easy steps.
Step One: Layer the Ingredients
The first layer at the bottom of your jar will be the sugar. Add the sugar to the jar, then place a pinch of salt on top. Lightly tap the jar on the table to help level the layer of sugar. After that, add the chocolate chips to the jar and tap it again to create an even layer on top of the sugar. Next, pour the cocoa powder over the chocolate chips and lightly tap the jar on the table to help the powder settle around the chocolate.
Step Two: Add the Toppings
Once you have the basic ingredients for your hot chocolate inside the jar, you can have some fun adding the toppings to your gift. Start by placing the round peppermint candy upright around the edge of the jar. Then, place your mini marshmallows in the space behind the peppermints in the center of the jar to help the candy stay upright. After that, you can continue adding mini marshmallows until the jar is full.
Step Three: Attach the Gift Tag
Now that you have your peppermint hot chocolate mix inside the mason jar, all that’s left to do is add your gift tag! After downloading the tag, print it on cardstock and cut the tag out around the outer border. Use a hole punch to make a hole in the top of the tag and thread a piece of ribbon through the hole. Attach the tag to the top of the jar with a bow.
How Do I Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate?
If you’re giving this cute mason jar hot chocolate as a gift, the tag will explain how to prepare the peppermint hot chocolate mix. But if you’re wondering how you use the mix after it’s prepared, just follow these quick instructions:
- Pour the contents of the jar into a large mug. The amount of mix is enough to make one large serving or two small servings of peppermint hot chocolate.
- Heat two cups of milk. You can warm your milk in the microwave for around one minute or place the milk in a saucepan and cook over medium low heat until it starts to simmer.
- Stir the hot milk into the mix. Pour the hot milk over the mix in the mug and stir until the cocoa powder and sugar are dissolved and the chocolate chips are melted.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix Gift Tips and Tricks
Since these cute hot chocolate gifts are so simple to make, you’re going to want to create a jar for everyone on your holiday shopping list! And with the help of these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to create some amazing gifts in no time.
- Make your gifts with wide mouth jars. While traditional mason jars are great for storage, it can be difficult to add layered ingredients to a jar with a small opening. To make it easier to put your hot chocolate gifts together, make sure to use half pint mason jars with a wide mouth.
- Use a canning funnel. Even with a wide mouth jar, it can be difficult to add your ingredients to the jar without making a mess. With the help of a canning funnel, you can easily add each layer of your hot cocoa mix without spilling any of it. Just place the canning funnel over the top of the jar and add each ingredient as listed in the recipe.
- Make your gifts ahead of time. The great thing about packaging your homemade hot chocolate mix in mason jars is that you can make them ahead of time! If you tighten the lids on your jars, the ingredients inside will stay fresh for up to one month. That means you can put your hot chocolate gifts together ahead of time and they’ll stay good until your loved ones are ready to enjoy them.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix Gift
- Half pint jars with lids
- Printable gift tag
- String or ribbon
- Pour the sugar and salt into the bottom of each jar. Tap the jar on table to level the sugar.
- Add the chocolate chips in an even layer over the sugar.
- Pour the cocoa powder over the top of the chocolate chips and lightly tap the jar on the table to help the powder settle.
- Add the peppermint candy in a row around the edge of the jar.
- Fill the top of the jar with mini marshmallows.
- Place the lid on top of the jar.
- Print out the gift tags and cut them out around the border.
- Use a hole punch to punch a hole in the top of the card.
- Tie a piece of ribbon or twine around the top of the jar and thread the end of the ribbon through the hole in the card. Attach the card to the jar with a bow.