Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
Are you looking for an easy and delicious dry bean soup recipe that doesn’t require hours of soaking? Then this Instant Pot black bean soup will be your new favorite dinner! This recipe is packed with flavor and requires only a few simple ingredients. Plus, thanks to the Instant Pot, it’s ready in no time.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make Instant Pot Black Bean Soup?
Using just a handful of simple ingredients, you can whip up a delicious and hearty meal that everyone in the family will love. And when you use this simple Instant Pot recipe, you can prepare your soup from scratch using dry beans without spending hours in the kitchen. To make your black bean soup at home, you’ll need the following:
- Tortilla strips
- Avocado slice
- Shredded cheese
- Red onion
- Sour cream
- Chili peppers
How Do I Make Instant Pot Black Bean Soup?
Making a hearty one-pot meal is quick and easy when you have an Instant Pot! This handy appliance can cut the cooking time for time-intensive recipes like beans in half. Instead of waiting on your beans to cook for hours on the stovetop, this black bean soup can be ready in just over one hour using your pressure cooker. To make black bean soup in your Instant Pot, follow these easy instructions:
Step One: Prepare the Beans
While you don’t need to soak your beans before cooking them in the Instant Pot, washing and sorting the beans before cooking is a good idea. Pour the dry beans into a strainer and rinse them under cold water. Then quickly sort through the beans and discard broken or damaged beans from the bowl.
Step Two: Cook the Black Beans
Combine the black beans with the onion, garlic, and two cups of water in the bowl of your Instant Pot. Place the lid on the pot and seal the vent on top. Set the Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or use the Beans setting on your pot.
Step Three: Blend the Soup
When the cooking time is up, quickly release the pressure from the pot and remove the lid. Transfer the bean mixture to a blender and add one cup of water. Blend until the soup is smooth. An immersion blender also works great for this!
Step Four: Season the Black Bean Soup
Black Bean Soup Recipe Ideas
This simple black bean soup recipe is an excellent quick and easy dinner option. And while the recipe tastes fabulous, there’s no reason you can’t adjust the ingredients to suit your family’s preferences. If you’re looking for substitution ideas, check out these simple changes you can make:
- Use canned beans. Cooking dry beans from scratch is the best way to prepare this soup. But if you’re in a hurry, you can substitute canned black beans in a pinch. Start by draining and rinsing your canned beans, then transfer them to the Instant Pot to cook on high for five minutes. After that, follow the recipe instructions as written.
- Add some spice. Give your black bean soup a little bit of a kick with the addition of some peppers. You can add chopped jalapeno peppers to the beans while they cook in the Instant Pot or mix in some red pepper flakes or chili powder before serving.
- Mix in some meat. This black bean soup is packed with protein without any meat at all. But if you want to add more flavor and extra protein to your soup, try cooking it with meat. Dry beans pair well with ham, making it a great addition. Mix some diced ham into the beans in the Instant Pot before cooking.
Should I Soak the Beans Before Cooking in the Instant Pot?
When preparing beans on the stovetop, it’s often recommended that the beans soak before cooking. But since the Instant Pot cooks your beans quickly and efficiently, there’s no reason to take the time to soak them before you start cooking. All you have to do is add the dry beans directly to the pot, mix in your liquid, and start cooking!
But while soaking isn’t required when cooking your beans in the pressure cooker, there are benefits to soaking if you have the extra time. One of the biggest reasons to consider soaking black beans is that soaking helps digestion. So, if you have issues digesting beans, adding this step to the preparation process might be a good idea.
Luckily, soaking your beans is easy – pour the black beans into a large pot or bowl and cover them with water. Allow the beans to soak for around 12 hours, then rinse the beans and start cooking!
What to Serve with Black Bean Soup?
This delicious recipe is perfect for families because there are so many different ways to serve it! Try serving your homemade soup with some of these topping ideas to create an individual dinner for everyone in your family:
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Corn chips
- Chopped red onion
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped green onion
- Pico de gallo
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Pour the dry beans into a strainer and rinse them under cold water. Then quickly sort through the beans and discard broken or damaged beans from the bowl.
- Combine the black beans with the onion, garlic, salt, and two cups of water in the bowl of your Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and seal the vent on top.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or use the Beans setting on your pot.
- When the cooking time is up, quickly release the pressure from the pot and remove the lid.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a blender and add one cup of water. Blend until the soup is smooth.
- Add the blended beans & chicken bouillon into a large pot and place on the cooktop. Bring the soup to a boil and cook for five to six minutes until heated through.
- Remove the pan from heat, salt and pepper to taste. Then, serve immediately. Garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, grated cheese, sour cream and/or chili peppers, if desired.