With just 4 ingredients, this Homemade Pumpkin Pasta is so easy to make! Flour, pumpkin purée, salt and olive oil come together to create this delicious recipe. It is the perfect noodle base for all types of sauces or delicious on it’s own with butter and a little cheese.
As much as I love to cook and bake, I have to admit that until recently, I had never made my own pasta. I always thought that it would be incredibly time consuming, so I just never bothered. Then, I came across a recipe for it and it just seemed so easy that I had to try it.
Looking for more delicious pumpkin recipes? Give these a try:
Now, I almost always make my own pasta. In fact, I have been experimenting with different ways to create it. Recently, I decided to try adding pumpkin purée because I love all things pumpkin and I came up with this very simple recipe that has just 4 ingredients: Homemade Pumpkin Pasta!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Homemade Pumpkin Pasta?
As I mentioned above, there are just 4 ingredients in this delicious handmade pasta recipe. You will need the following items.
Kitchen Items Needed:
Helpful Items, but not essential:
How do I make the Homemade Pumpkin Pasta?
As I mentioned above, this is incredibly simple to make in a few steps.
Step 1: Combine the ingredients
Start off by stirring together the flour, pumpkin purée, oil and salt in a large bowl. Then, transfer the ingredients onto a clean surface sprinkle with flour.
Step 2: Knead the Pasta Dough
Knead the pumpkin pasta dough for about 8 minutes. Then, form a ball with the dough and wrap it up tightly in plastic. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the Homemade Pumpkin Pasta
Divide the dough into 2 portions. You can save one portion for later use, just wrap it back up tightly in plastic and place in the refrigerator. If you do not have a pasta machine, place the 1 portion of dough on a floured working surface. Use a rolling pin to form the dough into a thin rectangular shape.
Step 4: Cut into strips, Cook and Enjoy!
Loosely roll the dough up as pictured below. Then, use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut pasta dough into long strips.
Separate the pasta with your fingers. If you have a pasta rack, hang it on rack; however it is not essential to do this.
When ready to prepare pasta, bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt to taste, then add pasta. Cook for 3 minutes, then drain in colander. It is important not to overcook the homemade pumpkin pasta or it will become mushy. I use a timer to make sure it does not cook longer than 3 minutes. Serve pasta warm with toppings of your choice. I prefer to just add a little butter, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese to it.
What is the best way to serve the Homemade Pumpkin Pasta?
I just love the flavor of this fresh pasta, so I typically just add a little butter, slat, pepper and parmesan cheese. However, there are a variety of different ways you could serve it. Here are just a few ideas:
- Add olive and pumpkin seeds
- Serve with a fresh cream based sauce
- Combine a cup of the starchy water that the pasta was cooked in and a cup of pumpkin purée and simmer until it thickens. Add seasonings of choice and serve it on top of pasta.
How do I store the Pumpkin Pasta?
The cooked pasta can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The pasta dough can be stored wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
So Tell Me…
Have you ever made your own pasta? Do you have a pasta maker? Have you ever tried a Homemade Pumpkin Pasta recipe? How would you serve it?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Homemade Pumpkin Pasta
- 2 cups all purpose flour + more for the working table
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, pumpkin purée, oil and salt until well combined.
- Transfer onto a working surface and knead the dough for about 8 minutes. Form a ball and wrap in a plastic. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the pasta. Divide the dough into 2 portions. You can save one portion for later use.
- If you don't have a pasta machine, place the 1 portion of dough on a floured working surface and use a rolling pin. Roll thinly and try to form into a rectangular shape. *Important: You have to keep dusting both surfaces with flour while rolling.
- Loosely roll it up and use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut your pasta into long strips. Separate the strips with your fingers.
- When ready to use. Bring water and salt to boil in a large pot. Add pasta and cook for 3 minutes then drain with cold water. It's important that you set a timer to cook the pasta so that you do not overcook it.