These Easy Lemon Shortbread Squares are the perfect recipe for Spring! They are light, tart and make a delicious treat for dessert.
Spring is in the air and I could not be more thrilled! I am looking forward to doing more outdoor running and getting off my bike trainer to cycle outside too. I am also excited to do a little spring time cooking and baking! At this time of year, I love making light and fresh recipes. Lemon is a key ingredient! One of my favorite ways to use the beautiful citrus fruit is in this Easy Lemon Shortbread Squares recipe.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Lemon Shortbread Squares?
This recipe comes together quickly and your will need just a few simple ingredients.
Kitchen Items needed for this recipe:
- Medium Bowl
- 8 x 8 inch Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Large Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Pastry Blender(or fork)
How do I make the Lemon Shortbread Squares?
These are super easy to make, but full of tart, lemony flavor! First, combine the flour, salt, butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Use a fork or pastry blender to mix it together until it resembles coarse crumbles. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper. Press this mixture into the pan and bake the crust for 20 minutes or until it is lightly browned. Then, set aside.
Spread the topping over the shortbread and bake for 25 minutes or until set. Cool in the pan, then chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Then, carefully remove from pan by lifting the edges of the parchment paper. Cut into nine squares and dust with powdered sugar.
That is it, delicious lemon shortbread squares! I enjoy eating them all by themselves. However, they are delicious served up with a little fruit on time too! So, try topping them with blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or some sliced, fresh strawberries.
How do I store the Lemon Shortbread Squares?
They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Easy Lemon Shortbread Squares
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- In a medium mixing bowl use a pastry blender or a fork to combine the flour, salt, butter and sugar until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and press the crust ingredients into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until crust is lightly browned and set aside.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in the eggs, lemon peel and lemon juice. Beat well.
- Spread the topping over the hot shortbread crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until nearly set.
- Cool in the pan, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the lemon shortbread from the pan by lifting edges of parchment paper and carefully taking out.
- Cut into squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite “springy” recipe? Do you enjoy baking and cooking with lemon? Have you ever made Lemon Shortbread Squares?
Looking for more light and fresh recipes? Give these a try:
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
PIN IT HERE↓