Instant Pot Artichokes are easy to make and so delicious! If you have never cooked them before, learn how to pick them out , prepare them and cook the artichokes in your Instant Pot in just a few simple steps.
PIN IT HERE↓
Artichokes are fantastic for appetizers, snacks or a dish on the side. They are full of nutrients, antioxidants and fiber. Not to mention, they taste great when you dip them in drawn butter, garlic and parmesan cheese like in this Easy Instant Pot Artichokes recipe. This will be a favorite for sure!
What should I look for when buying fresh artichokes?
When you are picking out an artichoke, look for one that is large (about 11 inches in diameter) and bright green. Try to get one that has all green petals and has not turned dark purple. If you can not find the large artichokes, the smaller artichokes will work as well. Look for ones that are bright green, firm to touch and the petals are tight fitted around the plant.
What ingredients do I need for the Instant Pot Artichokes?
There are just a few ingredients in the Instant Pot Artichoke recipe. Here is what you will need:
- Garlic Salt
- Bread Crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese
Kitchen Items Needed for Instant Pot Artichokes:
- Instant Pot
- Large Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Kitchen Scissors
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Sheet Pan
- Sauce Pan or Microwave Safe Bowl
How do I make the Instant Pot Artichokes?
Step 1: Prepare the Artichokes
Start out by submerging the artichokes in a large bowl of cold water and soak them for 5 minutes. Remove them from water and dry them with paper towels. Then, lay the artichokes on there side on a cutting board and pull off any small petals at the base. Use kitchen scissors to trim the thorn tips off all the petals. Cut off the top (about an inch or two) and the stem with a sharp knife.
Step 2: Cook the Artichokes in the Instant Pot
Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add a cup of cold water. Put the artichokes in with the stem down and put the lid on the Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is set to SEALING, press the MANUAL button and set timer for 10 minutes.
When the artichokes are done cooking, do a quick release of the pressure by carefully turning the pressure valve to VENTING. When the pressure is all released, remove the lid and use kitchen tongs to remove the artichokes to a dish.
Step 3: Prepare the Topping and Butter Dip
While the artichokes are cooking, prepare the topping and butter dip. Start off by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray and spread the bread crumbs on it. Pour half the butter over bread crumbs and toss to coat. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture with 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
Step 4: Serve up the Instant Pot Artichokes
Next, add the minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and parsley to the remaining melted butter. Stir to combine and pour into 2 ramekins to serve with the artichokes, add some parmesan cheese to the butter if desired. Sprinkle the artichokes with the toasted butter crumbs and serve with the drawn butter. Enjoy!
How do I eat the Instant Pot Artichokes?
When you are eating the cooked artichoke, you will only eat the white part of the petal that is closest to the plant, not the outside part. Discard the green part of the petal after eating the white flesh. There will be layers of petals before you get to the heart, my favorite part! You can eat the entire heart of the artichoke, except the fuzzy part.
Easy Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot
- 2 1/2 pound Artichokes 11 inches circumference
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 - teaspoon garlic salt divided
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 cups bread crumbs toasted
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese shredded
- Wash the artichokes by submerging them an soaking them in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the water and drain them, upside down in a colander for a couple of minutes, then dry them a bit with paper towels.
- Next, lay them on a cutting board on their side and pull off any small petals at the base. Use kitchen scissors to trim the thorn tips off all the petals.
- Cut off the top (about an inch or two off the top is good) and the stem with a sharp knife.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of the liner of the Instant Pot and add a cup of cold water. (If you have a steamer basket, that can be used instead of the trivet)
- Place the artichokes in the Instant Pot with the stem side down.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the pressure valve is set on 'SEALING'. Then, press the Manual button, and set the time for 10 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, quick release the pressure - by carefully turning the pressure valve to VENTING. Be sure to use a pot holder to turn the valve to release the pressure.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and use tongs to remove the artichokes from the Instant Pot to a dish.
For Topping and Butter Dip: (Prepare while artichokes are cooking)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in sauce pan or in the microwave.
- Place 2 cups of bread crumbs on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Pour half the butter over the bread crumbs and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt and place in the oven at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes or until the bread crumbs start to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add the minced garlic, garlic salt and parsley to the remaining butter and stir to combine.
- Pour the seasoned drawn butter into 2 small ramekins to serve with artichokes.
- Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs over the artichokes. Serve the artichokes with the drawn butter, add parmesan cheese to the butter just before eating if desired.
NOTE: When you're picking an Artichoke, pick one that's large (about 11 inches around) and bright green. Try to get one that has all green petals, and hasn't turned dark purple. If you can't get the large ones, but the small ones are bright green and firm to the touch, and the petals are tight fitted around the plant, then those will work also. When you're eating the cooked Artichoke, you only eat the white part of the petal that's closest to the plant, not the outside part, and then discard the dark green part of the petal. There will be layers of petals before you get to the center or the heart. You can eat all the center, or heart, except for the fuzzy part which must be removed, as per instructions above. If you're serving more than 2, you might consider melting 2 sticks of butter so you are not short on drawn butter while you're enjoying the artichoke.
So Tell Me…
Have you ever cooked artichokes at home? What is your favorite way to eat them? Did you know what to look for when buying fresh artichokes?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great weekend!