I am participating in the Trifecta Friday Five link-up hosted by Cynthia at You Signed Up for What, Courtney at Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Mar at Mar on the Run. This week’s theme is: “People Who Motivate Me”. There are so many people that inspire and motivate me for different reasons and different aspects of my life! I would like to share my 5 favorite motivational athletes/coaches.
1. Chrissie Wellington– A former professional triathlete and 4 time Ironman World Champion who is known for finishing every race with a giant smile on her face. She holds the current world record for the Ironman distance triathlon. Her athletic achievements are truly admirable, but she is also a genuine humanitarian. I learned a great deal about her from reading her 2012 book A Life without Limits that details her late start and success in endurance sports.
2. Hillary Biscay -She is the Ultraman World Champion and has had a very successful career as a professional triathlete racing Ironman Distance events, including winning Ironman Wisconsin in 2008 one week after finishing in 4th place at Ironman Louisville. I admire her positive attitude, determination, and true love for endurance sports. Check out this talk she gave called: How to Believe in Yourself When No One Else Does, it is truly inspirational! She is also the co-founder Smashfest Queen, which is my favorite brand of Triathlon and Cycling clothes!
3. Kara Goucher – An American long distance runner that placed third at the Boston Marathon in 2009 and 6th in 2013 ( the year of the bombings). She is also one of only 7 U.S. women to have completed a 10K race in under 31 minutes. I am motivated by her “down to earth” style! I enjoy following her on Facebook as she shares pictures of her training, family life, and some fabulous meals!
4. Joan Benoit -An American Marathon runner who won the gold medal at the 1984 Olympics. She resides in Maine, close to where I live and I often see her running. It’s pretty cool to have this Olympian in our “backyard”. She also supports and runs at many of the local races and is a huge contributor and inspiration to the Maine running community. She founded the Beach to Beacon 10K Road Race that starts near Crescent Beach State Park and ends at Fort Williams near the infamous Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. This race attracts elite runners from all of the world and I have had the pleasure of running it twice with my husband.
5. Siri Lindley– A former professional triathlete and current coach to a number of famous pro triathletes, including: Mirinda Carfrae. I stumbled upon her on Instagram last Summer and have been ultimately inspired by, the pictures and video clips she shares of her coaching athletes. She is so positive and uplifting. When I am seeking motivation, I will often checkout what she has posted on her Facebook page or Instagram, as she provides inspirational messages and shows clips of professional triathletes grinding out tough work out sessions.
Who are your favorite motivational athletes? Are there any on my list that you are going to check out?
Have a Great Week!!