Good Afternoon, I hope you are enjoying your weekend! It is a cold one here in Maine, but it is supposed to start warming up next week…Finally!! I am so ready for Spring and to be able to get back outside to bike and run again. It has been a particularly icy winter here, so most of my running has been on the treadmill. I tolerate treadmill running ok, but lately I have been lacking in motivation to get myself started, so I decided to work on a plan to get myself back on track. I came up with these Six Tips for Exercise Motivation that I would like to share today.
Six Tips for Exercise Motivation
1. Set Realistic Goals: Set a goal for yourself to achieve and work towards it. For example, if you are just getting back into running, a goal may be to run 3 miles straight by the end of a few weeks. One thing that always gets me motivated is signing up for a race, which serves as a goal. If I know I will be doing a half marathon at the beginning of the Summer it is a huge incentive for me to stay on track!
2. Invest in Something: A great way to boost your motivation is to invest in something to start your exercise program. You could buy a fun custom track uniform or a colorful new pair of sneakers. Another idea is to buy a block of passes to a spinning or yoga class. Of course, it does not have to be expensive, but something that will help motivate you to get out the door!
3. Workout with a Friend: I love working out with friends! It is great for accountability because if you are meeting someone, you are much less likely to make excuses; such as, “I’m too busy”. Having an exercise buddy also makes the time go by quicker and can make workouts much more enjoyable!
4. Schedule an Appointment: Treat your exercise plans as appointments with yourself that you can not cancel. One thing I do is write my training schedule down each week in my planner, so I have certain times of each day blocked off specifically for my workouts.
5. Change it Up: If your old exercise routine is feeling lack luster, try something new to help get moving again! The off season is a perfect time to try a Zumba or Cross Fit Class at the gym to add some variety to your workouts. These classes can be fun and motivating to get back in shape!
6. Write it Down: Keeping a journal of your workouts can be motivational and inspiring. It is also a great key for accountability to write down what you have done each day. It helps track progress, which can keep you on the right path to reach your fitness goals as well.
So Tell Me…
How do you stay motivated to exercise? Do you use any of the Six Tips for Exercise Motivation that I mentioned above? Do you ever mix it up with cross-training?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great weekend!
PIN IT HERE!