Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil is simple and delicious vegetarian recipe. The roasted vegetables make a tasty side dish or vegan main dish. They are also fabulous for breakfast with eggs or served cold on top of a salad.
PIN IT HERE↓
Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil is one of my favorite side dishes to make. I love the taste of just about any roasted vegetable, but this combo is especially flavorful. The contrast in taste and textures between the sweet potatoes and broccoli is unique and tasty. It is so simple to make and it is always a hit with the entire family.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
Why use coconut oil to roast the vegetables?
The coconut oil enhances the sweetness of the potatoes and roasting the broccoli gives it a nutty flavor. I love using coconut oil in cooking and baking as it has a number of healthy benefits.
What ingredients do I need?
This side dish is so simple to make and there are just five ingredients. You will need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Coconut Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
Kitchen items needed for the recipe
- Vegetable Peeler
- Cutting Board
- Baking Sheet
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Oven Mitt
How do I make the Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil?
There are four simple steps to make the Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare baking sheet
Place a rack in the upper 1/3 of the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray the baking sheet lightly with cooking spray or rub it with a small amount of the coconut oil and set it aside.
Step 2: Peel and cut vegetables
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Then, cut the broccoli crowns into florets and spread all of the vegetables on the prepared baking sheet.
Step 3: Add the Coconut Oil
If you are not familiar with coconut oil, it comes in a solid form. It does melt fairly quickly with heat though. Add the coconut oil on top of the vegetables in 3 separate tablespoons (one tablespoon per each 1/3 of pan as shown below).
Step 4: Roast and season the vegetables
Place the baking sheet in the upper third of the oven and roast at 450 degrees. IMPORTANT: After 5 minutes, the coconut oil should be melted. Remove the pan from the oven and toss the vegetables to coat with the melted coconut oil. Then, season with salt and pepper to taste and toss again.
Place back in the oven and roast for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven when the broccoli and sweet potatoes begin to crisp and lightly brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
How do I serve the Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes in Coconut Oil?
I typically serve it as a side dish with lean chicken and a salad. However, this also makes a great vegetarian main dish. Another favorite way to serve this is for breakfast as veggie hash along side eggs.
Can I store the Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, they can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat them in the microwave for a delicious lunch or add the veggies cold on top of a salad.
- 3 Medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 Broccoli crowns cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp Coconut oil
- Kosher sea salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste
- Place rack in upper 1/3 of oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spray baking sheet lightly with cooking spray or rub with a small amount of coconut oil
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch cubes, then cut broccoli crowns into florets and spread on the baking sheet
- Place 3 Tbsp coconut oil (one tablespoon in 3 separate spots) on top of the vegetables. If you are not familiar with Coconut Oil it comes as a solid, but will melt when placed in the oven
- Place in upper 1/3 of the oven and roast for 5 minutes
- After approximately 5 minutes, the coconut oil should be melted, so take out of the oven and toss vegetables to coat with the oil, then sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place back in the oven and roast for additional 15 to 20 minutes. Remove when broccoli and sweet potatoes are lightly crisped.
So tell me…
What is your favorite veggie side dish? Do you have a quick and easy “go to” recipe that pleases the entire family? Have you ever cooked or baked with coconut oil? What other ways have you used coconut oil?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Enjoy the rest of your week!