Happy Monday, how are those New Year’s Resolutions coming along? Is one of your resolutions to establish a weekly running routine? Sometimes it can be hard to get started as it takes dedication and perseverance. Planning and preparation are important to ensure your travels on foot are comfortable and safe. Whether it’s your New Year’s Resolution to get fit or you just love to run, below are some things you can do to get started. Check out how to Plan, Prepare and Run with Confidence.
Plan, Prepare and Run with Confidence
Warm-Up And Cool Down
Warming-Up and Cooling Down are essential for a solid running routine. The “warming-up” piece sometimes gets left out when time is an issue. However, it is important to spend at least 5 minutes stretching your quads, hamstrings, circling your hips and ankles, and jogging a bit to get your blood pumping and your muscles warmed up. It will not only ensure that your run goes smoothly, but it will help with recovery as well! Cooling down after a run is also necessary, so take a few minutes to let your heart rate return normal by walking a few hundred yards when you finish your run.
One of my favorite things about running is there is not a lot of gear needed to get started! Seriously, a good pair of running shoes and exercise clothes are all you need. However, there are definitely some things that you can buy to help make running more comfortable, safe, and enjoyable. Check out my favorites:
- Running Shoes – So GOOD running shoes are essential! I highlight the “good” because running shoes make all the difference when it comes to comfort and injury prevention. I would recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes to get fit with the appropriate sneaker. These specialty stores will often do a free gait analysis to determine which shoe is best for you! Running shoes can be expensive, but it is a worthwhile investment and one of the only things you need to buy to get started with a running routine.
- Fuel Belt- These are not just for long distance running. I love using my fuel belt, even if it is for a short run! I can carry my phone, water, car keys, and any fuel I may need in my belt and it fits comfortably around my waist.
- GPS Watch- This is absolutely not necessary, but I do enjoy keeping track of my pace, distance, and heart rate right on my wrist!
- Highly Visible Clothing – Yes, I am talking neon…flourecent….anything Bright!!! Being seen by drivers is imperative for safety. The brighter the clothes, the more visible you will be and in turn the safer you will be while pounding the pavement!
- Visor or Hat- A running visor or hat is a great investment too! I wear one rain or shine. It not only keeps the sun out of my eyes on a bright day, but it also keeps the sweat from dripping down too! On a rainy day, wearing a hat or visor keeps the raindrops out of my face.
Plan your running route ahead of time. I like to pick places where there are typically other people running, as they are generally safe places and people driving will anticipate seeing runners. I do always carry a phone in case there is an emergent situation and I need to get in touch with a professional for help or my personal injury lawyer .
So Tell Me…
Are you starting a running routine in 2019? How do you Plan, Prepare and Run with Confidence? What is your favorite piece of running gear to use?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a Great Week!