This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ChooseMazola #CollectiveBias
This Light and Delicious Taco Salad is made by swapping out a few ingredients with lighter items! Dinner on Tuesday evening is always a favorite in my house. Why? You guessed it… It’s Taco Night! My kids absolutely love making their own taco salads. I enjoy it because it is a quick and easy meal that everyone enjoys. The one thing I am not crazy about is that traditional taco salad recipes can be loaded with calories. However, they do not have to be! By making a few ingredient swaps, like using Mazola® Corn Oil instead of lard, a light and delicious taco salad can be prepared. In fact, a clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
Light and Delicious Taco Salad
Ingredient Swap #1
As mentioned above, I swap out lard and use Mazola Corn Oil to sauté the tortilla strips for on top of the salad. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. I use it in several other recipes as a lighter alternative too! It is great for baking, grilling, stir frying and in marinades or salad dressings.
Ingredient Swap #2
This is a simple one! Instead of using white flour tortillas, I use whole wheat or multigrain tortillas to sauté in the Mazola Corn Oil for on top of the salad.
Ingredient Swap #3
I lighten up the taco salad by using ground turkey or ground chicken instead of beef. My family actually prefers the turkey or chicken over the beef, too, as it is less greasy.
Ingredient Swap #4
Light and Delicious Taco Salad
- 2 Tbsp Mazola Corn Oil
- 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas cut into strips
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or ground chicken
- 1/4 cup Taco Seasoning
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce
- 15 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Salsa
- Prepare salad toppings by halving cherry tomatoes, tearing iceberg lettuce into pieces, and dicing up avocado and bell pepper.
- Then, cut tortillas into 2 inch long strips. I like to do this with a pizza cutter.
- Next, heat up 2 Tbsp of Mazola Corn Oil in pan over medium heat.
- Sauté tortilla strips in pan until lightly browned and crisp.
- Remove from pan, sprinkle with sea salt and place on paper towels.
- Next, brown ground turkey or chicken in pan over medium high heat for 8 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of taco seasoning and 1/4 cup of water and stir until combined.
- Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Assemble taco salads and enjoy!
Did you know September is National Cholesterol Awareness Month?
So Tell Me…
What are your favorite ingredient swaps? Did you know that Mazola Corn Oil has so many amazing health benefits?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!