This post is sponsored by Breathe Easy Maine, all opinions expressed are my own.
I caught a glimpse of Spring here in Maine this weekend when the temperatures went up to the high 50’s. My children and I took our dogs to the local beach and enjoyed a nice leisurely stroll with them in the warm and sunny weather. However, I woke up this morning to a frost-covered yard again. Cold days and even a Spring snowstorm are certainly not uncommon in Maine. My family and I just try to embrace it, knowing warmer days are just around the corner. We all try and stay active throughout the long days of winter. However, I am diligent about maintaining a healthy home environment for times when we are stuck indoors. Check out these Five Tips for a Healthy Family Home.
Five Tips for a Healthy Family Home
1. Eat Dinner Together: A healthy family can start right at the dinner table! Family dinner is important for physical health as well as mental health. It is often the only time of day when everyone is able to sit down together and truly engage with one another. Families that eat together regularly are more likely to eat healthy meals containing lean proteins and vegetables as well.
2. Teach Children Safe Use of Appliances: For younger children this may be teaching them not to touch appliances and keeping them far out of reach. However, as kids become more independent, it is necessary to review safe use of the microwave, toaster, and other appliances. It is also essential to educate them on the dangers that can occur while using them.
3. Address Home Issues for Accident Prevention: Accident prevention is key for a healthy home, so check your house for any potentially dangerous issues. It can be simple things like making sure the stairway and halls are clutter-free and that there are non-slip bath mats in the tub and shower.
4. Educate on Fire Prevention and Use of Smoke Detectors: Create a family plan for what to do in case of a fire. Review this plan with the entire family a few times a year. Also, make sure that the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working and changed when due.
5. Maintain a Smoke-Free Home and Environment: Secondhand smoke is dangerous in any amount. It is particularly harmful for children and pets, so it is essential to maintain a smoke-free environment for a Healthy Family Home.
Maine has very strict laws regarding smoking. However, 79,000 children are still being exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes here every day. In order to combat this serious issue, Breathe Easy Maine has created the Smoke-Free Homes Pledge. This program challenges all Mainers to protect their family and loved ones from the health risks associated with secondhand smoke by ensuring that smoke is not allowed in the home. You can take the Smoke-Free Homes Pledge by clicking <HERE>. When you take the pledge, you can request a free kit, which includes a Smoke-Free Home certificate, stickers, window decals, coloring pages, and more!
So Tell Me…
How do you maintain a Healthy Family Home? Do you eat dinner together each night? Are you going to take The Maine Smoke-Free Homes Pledge?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
#SmokeFreeinME #BreatheEasy4ME #SmokeFreePledge #SmokeFreeHome
PIN IT HERE: