If you enjoy a delicious salad recipe, be sure to give some of my other reader favorites a try! Easy Broccoli Cauliflower Crunch Salad is loaded with fresh, crunchy vegetables and it is a tried and true family favorite! If you are looking for a light and refreshing salad, try this easy Cucumber Strawberry Salad.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make 7 Layer Salad?
What I love about this easy salad recipe is that you just need a handful of ingredients! The salad consists of seven layers, which means you’ll just need seven ingredients for the salad itself. After that, just whip up a simple dressing to spread on top.
Here’s what you need to make this delicious salad recipe:
- Trifle Bowl
- Iceberg lettuce
- Hardboiled eggs
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Red onion
- Sour cream
- Spices and seasonings, including dried dill weed, dried basil, salt, and pepper
- Parsley for garnish, if desired
How Do I Make the Salad?
The key to making this beautiful dish is layering the ingredients just right. That means you’ll need to do a little bit of prep work before you get started. But the good news is that there’s no baking involved in this easy dish!
Step One: Prepare the Ingredients
Before you can start creating your layered salad, you’ll need to take a few minutes to prepare all your ingredients. Start by setting out your package of frozen peas so they’re thawed by the time you’re ready to start serving your salad. Then, begin washing your lettuce and tearing it into bite-sized pieces. After that, grab your knife and cutting board and start chopping your eggs, tomatoes, bacon, and red onion.
Step 2: Layer the Salad
Once all your ingredients are prepared, you can start creating the different layers for your salad. The salad should be layered in this order, starting at the bottom:
Start by placing the lettuce in the bottom of the bowl, making sure to press it down firmly to make room for the rest of the ingredients. After that, spread each of the ingredients in a single layer on top of each other.
Pro Tip: To ensure your salad looks beautiful from the side, create an even line of ingredients along the outer edge before moving on to the next item on the list.
Step Three: Make the Dressing for the Seven Layer Salad
After you have all the salad ingredients placed in your trifle bowl, it’s time to mix up the homemade salad dressing. To make the dressing, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill weed, basil, salt, and pepper until smooth and well combined. Spread the prepared salad dressing over the top of your onion layer.
Step Four: Chill the Ingredients
Once the salad is topped with dressing, cover the trifle dish with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. The salad will need to be chilled for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight to ensure all the flavors mix together.
Step Five: Garnish and Serve
When you’re ready to serve your salad, garnish the top of the dish with some extra cheese and chopped parsley.sprinkling of freshly chopped to enhance the presentation of your beautiful spring salad. More chopped bacon and peas can also be added on top if desired.
Easy Recipe Variation Ideas
This classic recipe has been popular for decades. But that doesn’t mean you can’t change it up to suit your needs! These tips and variation ideas are a great way to spruce up your own seven layer salad recipe:
- Make it low carb and keto. After scanning the list of ingredients, you can see that the majority of items in this salad are already low-carb — except for one, the peas. Luckily, this simple recipe can be changed to account for dietary needs, which means you can easily leave out the peas and make this a keto seven layer salad. If you want to stick with seven layers, try swapping the peas for a low-carb option like olives, cucumber, or bell peppers.
- Add more toppings. While the title of the recipe may make it seem like you need to stick to seven ingredients, there’s no reason you can’t add more! Include other common salad ingredients for added flavor, like avocado, olives, peppers, cucumber, spinach, celery, or kale.
- Mix in more meat. For a hardier salad, try including more meat into your dish. Chopped ham or turkey would make a great addition to this recipe.
- Use different cheeses. To enhance the flavor of your salad, try using different cheese flavors or add more cheese layers to your salad. Adding parmesan, blue cheese, or feta could provide you with a unique flavor that takes your recipe over the top.
- Trifle Bowl
For the salad:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce washed and torn into pieces
- 4 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 12 ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 6 to 8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided (1 cup for in the salad and 1/2 cup for on top)
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
For the dressing:
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a trifle bowl, layer the salad in the order of the ingredients listed: lettuce, eggs, tomatoes, peas, bacon, cheese and red onion. *Make sure to press down and create an even layer after each ingredient is added.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, basil, salt and pepper.
- Spread over the salad in an even layer.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably, overnight.
- Prior to serving, garnish with additional cheese and freshly chopped parsley if desired. Bacon and peas also go nicely in top.
- Serve cold and enjoy!