Homemade onion rings are a delicious side dish or snack. But making deep fried onion rings is messy and time consuming! If you have an air fryer at home, there’s no need to deal with messy oil to make a delicious fried snack. Use this air fryer onion rings recipe to whip up a batch of delicious fried onions without the need for oil at all!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What Do I Need to Make This Air Fryer Onion Rings Recipe?
Once you try making your own onion rings in the air fryer, you’ll never go back to deep frying them again! That’s because you can prepare this fried side dish with just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of your time using this simple recipe. To make homemade onion rings, you’ll need:
- A large sweet onion
- All-purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil cooking spray
How Do I Make Air Fryer Onion Rings?
If you usually make frozen onion rings at home, you have to give this simple recipe a try. Once you make your own homemade rings, you’ll never buy frozen ones again. Just follow these three easy steps to make a delicious batch of fried onions in your air fryer right now.
Step One: Prepare Your Ingredients
Before you can start cooking your onion rings in the air fryer, you’ll need to take a few minutes to prep all the ingredients. Start by slicing your onion into thick rings, then set the slices aside while you put together the breading ingredients. In one medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, garlic, paprika, and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg until it’s smooth. In a third bowl, pour the panko breadcrumbs.
Step Two: Bread the Onion Rings
Now that you have all the ingredients ready to go, it’s time to start dipping the onions! To add breading to the onion rings, start by dipping one ring in the flour mixture. Then, dip the ring in the egg, followed by the panko. Transfer the coated onion ring to the air fryer basket and spray it with cooking spray.
Step Three: Air Fry the Onion Rings
Continue coating the onion rings in breading and adding them to the basket until the rings have filled the basket in an even layer. Be careful not to overcrowd the basket to keep the onion rings from sticking together as they cook. Set the air fryer to cook at 360 degrees for six minutes, removing the basket halfway through the cook time to flip the onion rings. Continue cooking in batches until all the onion rings have been cooked.
Air Fryer Onion Rings Tips & Tricks
Making onion rings in the air fryer is one of the easiest ways to reduce the mess in your kitchen. But making the perfect batch of air fried onion rings isn’t always easy! Try these recipe tips and tricks as you’re cooking to ensure your rings come out perfect every time.
- Try soaking the onions. If you have a few extra minutes before you need to cook your onion rings, try soaking them in ice water before adding the breading. Ice water will help dilute the sulfur content in the onions. In addition to helping remove some of that strong onion flavor, soaking will also help bring out the sweetness in your onion slices.
- Double dip for extra crispy onions. Dipping your onion rings in each of the batter ingredients once will result in a light, crunchy coating. But if you want your onion rings to be extra crispy, try double dipping before cooking them in the air fryer. Start by dipping your onion slices in the flour mixture, then in the egg mixture. After that, return the slices to the flour and dip it in the egg one more time before adding the panko breadcrumbs to the top.
- Press the breadcrumbs lightly into the batter. To help your breadcrumbs stick to the outside of the onion rings, try pressing the breadcrumbs lightly after dipping. After that, immediately transfer the coated onion rings to the basket to keep the breadcrumbs from falling off.
How Do You Make Onion Rings Crispy in the Air Fryer?
Using oil is the best way to ensure the breading on your onion rings is crispy. But since you can’t add oil to the basket of your air fryer, you’ll need to use another method for getting crispy onion rings. Instead of using traditional oil, spraying your onion rings with cooking spray or oil is the best option when cooking them in the air fryer.
Make sure to coat both sides of the onion rings liberally with oil to help the breading get nice and crispy as it cooks. You can use cooking spray or add fresh oil to an oil sprayer.
What Kind of Onion is Best for Onion Rings?
When it comes to making homemade onion rings, picking the right type of onion is crucial. Typically, onion rings are made with either white or yellow onions. White onions have a stronger flavor, while yellow onions are sweeter. If you prefer sweet onions in your onion rings, Walla Walla, Vidalia, or Maui are all great options.
Air Fryer Onion Rings Recipe
- Air Fryer
- Slice onion into rings. Set aside.
- Add the flour, garlic, paprika, and salt to a medium bowl. Mix together.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg.
- In the third bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip one onion ring in the flour, then the egg, then panko. Place in your air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray. Add as many onions as you can in your basket without overcrowding.
- Cook in the air fryer at 360 degrees for 6 minutes, flipping halfway through at 3 minutes. Spray with cooking oil again.
- Repeat step 5 through 6 until all are prepped and cooked!
- Enjoy as is or with your favorite dipping sauce!