I just love this Christmasy time of year! It has been another whirl wind week of busyness here. However, I carved out some time yesterday to do a little holiday baking with my kids. I let them pick out some of their favorite cookie recipes that we will make over the next week. Then, we will make up some boxes to give along with gifts to their teachers and friends. Yesterday, we made their absolute favorite: Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies.
Yields 15 cookies
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 3/4 Cup of Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 sticks of Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Cups of Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Sticks of Butter, softened
- 2 tsp of Peppermint Extract
- 3 drops of Red Food Coloring
- 1 Cup of Crushed Candy Canes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, coca & salt
- In a large bowl, beat sugar & butter with an electric mixer until well blended
- Next, add eggs to butter/sugar mixture and beat until blended.
- Then, slowly add flour mixture until well combined
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper
- Using 1 tablespoon of dough at a time, roll into balls and place on cookie sheets 2 inches apart
- Use palm of hand to flatten each ball
- Bake in oven for 10 to 11 minutes
- Transfer cookies on to wire racks and allow to cool for 15 minutes
- For Icing:
- Place powdered sugar and butter in medium bowl and beat with electric mixture until well blended
- Add peppermint extract and food coloring and beat until icing turns pink and is well blended
- Spread 1 generous tablespoon of icing on bottom of on cookie and top with another cookie to make sandwiches
- Roll edges of cookies in crushed candy canes so it sticks to the icing
*This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit December 2005
Do you enjoy holiday baking? What is your favorite cookie? Do you enjoy giving or receiving baked goods as gifts?
We hope you enjoy the Sunday Fitness and Food Link-up! Please link-up with any food or fitness posts you would like to share (old or new) and pass along the link to other bloggers. We just ask that you limit the links to 3. Also, Please link back to the hosts, myself and my co-host Ilka and check out the other posts in the link & comment on each of the hosts & others that catch your eye! Also, feel free to add the badge below to your post by copying and pasting the code in the box under our badge. Have a great week and thank you for joining us!
|Grab the Badge Below!|