This Vegan Pumpkin Chili is a delicious and healthy twist on a classic recipe. Pumpkin purée and pumpkin spice are added to a traditional blend of spices and red beans. Chickpeas are also used as a source of protein in this spicy plant based meal.
Chili is definitely a favorite go to recipe in this fall. A favorite is Quick and Easy Instant Pot Mexican Chili. However, I have been on a quest to prepare more plant based meals, so I wanted to try making a good vegan chili recipe.
As I perused the fridge for ingredients, I realized I had an open can of pumpkin purée from the Pumpkin Soup I had made earlier in the week. So that inspired me to make this simple and delicious Vegan Pumpkin Chili recipe. The entire family loved it and it took less than 30 minutes to make!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Vegan Pumpkin Chili recipe?
There are several ingredients in the recipe, but I bet you have many of them already on your spice rack or in your pantry. Here is what you will need
- White Rice
- Olive Oil
- Red Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Chili Powder
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Cayenne Pepper
- Red Beans
- Pumpkin Purée
- Tomato Purée
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Lemon Juice
- Vegetable Broth
Kitchen Items Needed:
How do I make the Vegan Pumpkin Chili?
This recipe is ridiculously simple to make! It takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish and it all comes together in a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prepare rice and vegetables
Start off by cooking rice according to package instructions. Then, place a medium sauce pan on top of cooktop over medium heat. Once pan is warmed, add in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Next, add bell pepper, onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
Step 2: Add spices, corn, beans and chickpeas
When veggies are tender, add in the pumpkin pie spice, cumin and cayenne pepper. Sauté for a minute until fragrant. Next, add corn, red beans and chickpeas to the pan and combine with other vegetables and spices.
Step 3: Add remaining ingredients
Time to add the remaining ingredients: pumpkin purée, tomato purée, diced tomato, lemon juice and vegetable broth. Stir all ingredients until well combined together and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Serve warm over white rice and enjoy!
Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve the Vegan Pumpkin Chili over white rice and enjoy!
How do I store the Vegan Pumpkin Chili?
This Vegan Chili can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Is this Vegan Chili Recipe spicy?
Yes, it does have a little kick to it with the addition of cayenne pepper. However, if you do not enjoy spicy food, simply omit the cayenne pepper.
Are there any variations to this Vegan Pumpkin Chili?
Yes, there are several different variations to this quick and easy vegan recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Black Beans: If you are not a fan of chickpeas, use black beans instead for a 2 Bean Chili Recipe.
- Meat Substitute: Sauté your favorite vegan meat substitute and add it into the chili for a heartier dish. I like Gardein Beefless Ground Crumbles are my favorite!
- Plain Vegan Chili: If you are not a fan of pumpkin, simply omit the pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spice.
What is the best way to serve the Chili?
I enjoy serving it over white rice, but it can be served by itself as well! This Easy Mexican Cornbread goes great with it too or serve it up with a simple side salad. It makes great leftovers too!
So Tell Me…
Have you ever tried a pumpkin chili recipe? Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe? What kind of beans do you like to add to your chili?
Thank you so much for stopping by. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Vegan Pumpkin Chili
- 1 1/2 Cups White Rice
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoonPumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Corn canned or frozen
- 1 Cup Red Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Purée
- 1/3 Cup Tomato Purée
- 1 Cup Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Cook rice according to package instructions, set aside and keep warm.
- Place a medium saucepan on top of stove over medium heat. Once pan is warmed, add in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add bell pepper, onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add pumpkin pie spice, cumin and cayenne pepper and sauté for one more minute until vegetables are fragrant.
- Next, add corn, red beans and chickpeas to the pan and combine with other vegetables and spices.
- Then, add pumpkin purée, tomato purée, diced tomato, lemon juice and vegetable broth. Stir well together and let cook for 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Adjust salt and pepper before removing from heat.
- Serve warm over white rice.