Winter is still in full swing here in Maine and as much complaining as I can do about the cold temperatures, I do still enjoy it! One of my favorite things about this season is cooking up some warm and hearty soups and stews in my crockpot. However, I don’t often make the time in the morning to put it all together. In steps the Instant Pot! I must admit that I am a little late to the game when it comes to Instant Pot cooking. I actually got mine two years ago during a Black Friday Special, but it had been sitting in the basement collecting dust until this Fall. As I continued to see great recipes all over the internet for this somewhat intimidating cooking device, I finally decided to start experimenting with it. I discovered that it is fairly easy to use and I can make just about any dish in it that I used to make in my crockpot in a fraction of the time with the same delicious results. One of my favorite recipes that I have made so far in it is this Quick and Easy Instant Pot Mexican Chili. This dish is very filling & mildly spicy, but the kids love it! I use pork to make it a bit leaner, but it can also been done with stew beef & ground beef.
The Perfect Accompaniment to this recipe: Easy Mexican Cornbread
Instant Pot Mexican Chili
Instant Pot Mexican Chili
- -2 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- -2 lb. Boneless Prime Pork Roast cut into 1 inch pieces
- -1 lb. Ground Pork
- -2 Green Bell Peppers chopped
- -3 Smal Onions Chopped
- -5 Garlic Cloves finely Chopped
- -1 7 oz. Can of Tomato Paste
- -1 12 oz. can of Beer
- -3 Tbsp of Chili Powder
- -1 Tbsp of Cumin
- -1 Tbsp of Oregano
- -3 Bay Leaves
- -12 Tomatillos cut into wedges (Green “Mexican Husk” Tomatoes), these are optional, but they are a wonderful addition!
- -28 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes
- -15 oz. Can of Pinto Beans drained & rinsed
- -8 oz. Jar of Taco Sauce Can use mild, medium, or even hot, depending on degree of “heat” you like. I use mild because of my young children
- -3 Green Onions Chopped optional for Garnish
- -1/4 Cup Cilantro Chopped optional for Garnish
- -1 Avocado Diced
- -1 Cup of Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Turn on Instant Pot to Sauté Mode and add 2 Tbsp of EVOO, then add bell peppers and onions.
- Sauté veggies until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add cut up pork roast and ground pork, cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add beer and deglaze bottom of pan by scraping up any browned bits.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves and stir.
- Next, stir in remaining ingredients: tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes, pinto beans, taco sauce and tomatillos.
- Press Cancel/Off button in Instant Pot.
- Then, press Bean/Chili button in Instant Pot and cook. Once the pressure builds, the timer will come on and it will take 30 minutes to cook.
- When it is done cooking, you can allow the pressure to slowly release, or you can release it by using the pressure release (venting) valve.
- I like to let it slowly release for 10 minutes before using the pressure release (venting) valve.
- Serve warm topped with cheese, avocado, and additional toppings of your choosing!
So Tell Me…
Do you own an Instant Pot? What is your favorite meal to make in it? Were you intimidated to use it at first? Do you prefer cooking in your crock pot or Instant Pot more?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a Great Week!