This homemade Meyer lemon and basil gelato is the perfect, refreshing dessert on a hot summer day!
Happy Wednesday, I hope you are having a great week! It has been a hot one here, but I’m not complaining. We have had a string of gorgeous days here in Maine. I have been fortunate enough to spend a few of the days on the water. Yesterday, I had a wonderful time previewing the Casco Bay Swim Run course with a friend. I did part of the course in prep for the race in August. I was in and out of the ocean several times swimming between islands. Let’s just say this race is going to be an adventure, so stay tuned and check out my posts <HERE> on Instagram about it.
Since it has been so hot here, I decided to make some homemade gelato yesterday after my swimming adventure. I had picked up a bag of Meyer lemons at the grocery store over the weekend that I needed to use. So, I decided the juice and rind would be the perfect flavoring for my gelato creation. I also have a lot of fresh basil in the garden and I thought it would be fun to add that and make a sweet and savory dessert. It did turn out delicious, even my kids loved the combo of flavors!
Before I get to the recipe, I want to share a little more about why I love using Meyer lemons. What makes them so special? They are sweeter than traditional lemons and they have a lovely aroma. They are also very bright yellow with a hint of orange and have a softer, thinner skin than regular lemons. Meyer lemons are not as acidic as regular lemons, so their tartness is gentle and sweet making them a great addition to recipes.
Homemade Meyer Lemon and Basil Gelato
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of Meyer lemon juice from approximately 8-10 Meyer lemons
- 4 Tbsp of grated Meyer lemon peel
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- Heat milk in sauce pan until it reaches 175 degrees.
- Stir in 1 cup of sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Whisk the milk & sugar into the egg yolks, then return all to sauce pan while whisking continually.
- Add Meyer lemon peel, while continuing to whisk
- Continue to cook over low heat until the mixture thickens, while stirring. Do not let it reach a boil.
- Once mixture is thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat.
- Stir in Meyer lemon juice and heavy cream
- Place in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Place in ice cream maker and allow to freeze according to directions of machine.
So Tell Me…
Are you a fan of Meyer lemons? If so, what is your favorite way to use them? Have you ever made homemade gelato? Have you ever tried a dessert with herbs like basil?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
PIN IT HERE:
Looking for more great summertime desserts? Check these out: