I can’t believe Thanksgiving is next week! Wow, October just flew by and I feel like November has just begun, but next Thursday is the Big Day. I’m sure most of you will have a busy week ahead of you, whether you are hosting a family dinner or traveling. I am hosting Thanksgiving this year, which I love to do! Although, it does require a lot of planning to prepare dinner for 16 people. I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of turkey, so my favorite part of Thanksgiving is all of the side dishes. Of course, any Thanksgiving meal is not complete without a good old fashioned side of cranberry sauce. And no, I do not mean the kind that comes out of a can! Homemade Cranberry Sauce is so easy to make and will definitely “class up” any Turkey Day table. So, I am sharing my favorite recipe for homemade cranberry sauce with a little twist! I add port wine for some extra spirit, which gives a little flare to this must have side dish. However, if you prefer, this is perfectly lovely without the wine as well.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- 2 Cups Cranberries
- 1/2 Cup Port Wine (optional)
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Combine the Orange Juice, Orange Zest, and Port (if using) in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add 2 Cups of Cranberries, 2/3 Cup of Sugar, and Cinnamon.
- Then, simmer over low heat for approximately 20 minutes, or until the cranberries are tender and the mixture thickens like jelly.
- In a small cup mix 1 Tbsp of Cornstarch with 1 Tbsp of water, then add this to Cranberry concoction and whisk until thickened.
- Give it a try and add more sugar if necessary.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool down.
- It can be served warm or chilled, whichever you prefer.
So Tell Me…
Have you ever made Homemade Cranberry Sauce? What is your favorite Thanksgiving Dinner side dish? Are you hosting Thanksgiving this year or traveling on Turkey Day?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Also, stay tuned for tomorrow’s post, which will include a round-up of the ultimate Thanksgiving Day Meal Side Dishes!
Looking for a Great Dessert for Thanksgiving? Check out this Cinnamon Apple Pumpkin Cake Recipe <HERE> Are you in search of another festive side dish with cranberries? Here is a color side to try: Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cranberries, and Pecans with Balsamic Vinegar