Do you love holiday baking? This homemade recipe shows you how to make cookies and icing with a peppermint topping for sweet holiday flavor. Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies are easy to make and fun to share. Consider making a batch for easy gifting this time of year.
I just love this Christmasy time of year! We had another snow storm yesterday here in Maine, so I stayed home and finished up some last minute on-line shopping. Then, I finally carved out some time to do a little holiday baking with the kids. I let them pick out some of their favorite cookie recipes that we will make over the next week. Then, we will make up some boxes to give along with gifts to their teachers and friends. Yesterday, we made their absolute favorite: Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies.
These cookies are so fun to make and very festive for the holiday season! They are chocolate sandwich cookies with frosting in the center. I use a touch of mint extract in the frosting and place a generous tablespoon of it between two cookies. Then, I gently roll the edges of the sandwich cookies in crushed candy canes for a holiday flare. I actually made the dough Sunday night in anticipation of making them yesterday. However, it can be made the same day as well, just make sure to chill the cookie dough for at least an hour before use.
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What do I need to make the Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies?
There are 6 ingredients needed to make the cookies and 5 ingredients needed to prepare the mint flavored frosting. Here are the items you should have on hand:
For the Cookies:
For the Frosting:
Kitchen Items Needed:
- Cookie Sheets
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Electric Mixer
- Cookie Scoop or Spoon
- Parchment Paper
- Wire Baking Rack
How do I make the Candy Cane Cookies?
These sandwich cookies are fairly simple to make, but they require a little extra time to chill the dough, make the frosting and allow the cookies to cool. However, they are worth the effort!
Step 1: Make the Chocolate Cookie Dough
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa and salt. Then, in a large bowl, beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer until well-blended. Next, add the eggs to butter-sugar combo and beat with mixer until blended.
Add the flour mixture slowly to the combined butter, sugar, and eggs. Mix with a large spoon until well combined. Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Step 2: Bake the Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon of chocolate cookie dough at a time, roll into balls and place onto prepared cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
Use the palm of your had or a glass bottom dipped in water to lightly flatten the balls of dough. Place on center rack in oven and bake for 10 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire baking rack to cool
Step 3: Make the Peppermint Frosting
Place powdered sugar and butter in a medium bowl and beat with electric mixture until well blended. Then, add peppermint extract and red food coloring and beat on low speed until combined and frosting is pink.
Step 4: Assemble the Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
Once the chocolate cookies have cooled, spread a heaping tablespoon of icing on bottom of one cookie, then top with another cookie. Roll the edges of the sandwich cookie in crushed candy canes so that it will stick to the frosting.
So Tell Me…
Do you enjoy holiday baking? What is your favorite Christmas or Holiday cookie? Do you enjoy giving or receiving baked goods as gifts? Are you done with your holiday shopping or are you still working on some last minute gifts?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!
Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- Electric Mixer
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 sticks Butter softened
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 sticks Butter softened
- 2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 3 drops Red Food Coloring
- 1 Cup Candy Canes crushed
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa & salt
- In a large bowl, beat sugar & butter with an electric mixer until well blended
- Next, add eggs to butter/sugar mixture and beat until well blended.
- Then, slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir with a spoon until well combined
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using 1 tablespoon of dough at a time, roll into balls and place on cookie sheets 2 inches apart
- Use palm of hand or the bottom of a glass dipped in water to flatten each ball
- Bake in oven for 10 to 11 minutes
- Transfer cookies on to a wire rack and allow to cool for 15 minutes
- For Icing:
- Place powdered sugar and butter in medium bowl and beat with electric mixture until well blended
- Add peppermint extract and food coloring and beat on low speed until icing turns pink and is well blended
- Spread 1 generous tablespoon of icing on bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie to make sandwiches
- Roll edges of cookies in crushed candy canes so it sticks to the icing