Welcome to the Friday Five! This week I am sharing my 5 essentials for the Long Run. I think of a long run as any distance where I will need to take in extra fuel. This number of miles or amount of time can vary for people. In general, I like to have the items listed below when I will be pounding the pavement for 75 minutes or greater.
Here are my 5 “Must Haves”:
1. Nathan Fuel Belt: I have used this fuel belt belt for the past 4 years and it has been fantastic. It holds 4-10 oz. bottles of fluid and has a big zip pocket in the front that holds my phone and nutrition. It adjusts easily on the sides, so you can make it bigger for winter weather training and tighten it up when you have less clothes on in warmer weather. It also fits firmly with minimal bounce. I even use it for shorter runs and just keep one bottle in the belt. (***Extras, I like to include in my belt for Marathon Training are: Chapstick, Kleenex, & a $5 -in case I need to stop and buy water/electrolyte replacement)
2. Skratch Labs Lemon + Lime Exercise Hydration Mix: I had tried a number of different sports drinks over the years for running and just could not find one that felt good in my gut. Then, I read about Skratch Labs, which is an all-natural sports drink. It replaces both fluid & electrolytes & also provides fuel for the muscles. The best part is that it is flavored with real Lemons & Limes, & there are no artificial colors or ingredients. This was a game changer for me with running! I use it at 2/3 strength and alternate it with sips of water, which has worked great for me in long distance training.
3. Mio Global Wrist Heart Rate Monitor: I had used a chest strap heart rate monitor for the past few years and it was just never comfortable. I would get severe chaffing or it would slide down making some workouts miserable to the point I would just take it off. I discovered the Mio Global Wrist monitor last year during Ironman Training and it has been great! It is very comfortable and user friendly. I wear it on my right wrist and my watch on my left wrist. It can be used as a stand alone monitor with information transferred to an application on a smart phone or it will connect to my Garmin GPS watch via bluetooth technology.
4. Honey Stinger Chews & Gels: I have tried a number of gels & chews over the years, some were ok, but my favorite is Honey Stingers. The gels & chews are organic and made from real Honey! They also include some potassium & sodium for electrolyte replacement and are gentle on the tummy! There are many different flavors to choose from, my faves are: the Fruit Smoothie Gels & the Orange Blossom Chews.
5. Head Sweats Visor: This is an “Essential” on Every Run! I discovered these visors and hats 5 years ago when training for the local “Tri for a Cure” Race here in Maine. I fell in love with the style of the hats and visors and have worn them ever since! I am particularly smitten to the visors and have a “wardrobe” of them in closet. I wear them rain or shine and have found them particularly useful on snowy, winter days here as it keeps the snow out of my eyes.
Do you like to run long distances? What are your essentials for the big runs? Will you try any of the items I mentioned above? Please let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions!